• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A real nice Army General Mechanic’s Tool Kit

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't support HF, but yes someone can absolutely DIY a 'similar' kit for substantially less money.

Chainbreaker

Upon closer inspection of the individual photo's in that advertisement they do not appear to be what I would consider high quality tools that would justify a $3k+ price tag, maybe to the Gov't but not me. You could probably do as well quality wise, or better, by arranging a series of various Sears sets this coming Black Friday at a VERY reasonable price. Or save up and spend the $$ on truly pro-tools if needing that level of quality. Just sayin...

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The army has about 4 different versions of this kit. I had two of the versions. Nice tools, but I had all kinds of special tools I had "acquired" over the years, and there's NO ROOM for them. I tossed out about half the tools and stole some rubber matting to insert in the drawers. I cut out holes for the tools I really wanted to have. Worked well. But it's heavy. Pulling it on a flat even service is OK, but as soon as it's not flat and even, you have problems. Carring it was for young guys, I was too old for that.

This is a fine kit for people who work aircraft/turbines and that sort of thing. Because when you are done with the job, the last thing you do is look in your box, hopping there are no empty spaces. Missing tool? Where is it? In aviation, a missing tool is bad news. I once saw a 255,000 dollar turbine go boom, because a small wrench got "misplaced" in the regenerator drive train. One problem the soldiers had with the boxes was that the wheels fell off, or got jammed up with dirt and gravel. It didnt take long before the plastic wheels were worn flat on one side. For a while, the army could not get new wheels, you had to turn in the whole kit, to get a new box. So DRMO was full of these kits, with no wheels, but full of tools. I bet you can figure out what happened to the tools. The tools were mostly S&K. In the end, I got a couple of Snap On boxes, and mounted wheels on them. And put a couple on my car, without wheels.

Cost for the boxes to the army, 1,500 bucks. I thought a little high, for the quality of the tools.