• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A simple request

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris Stansbury, please keep the old steelsoldiers site intact (even if locked) with all images and PS Magazines for reference, it's lightweight, powerful, bright, fun to visit and userfriendly.
The real technology advance is in data download rates, images pop up in seconds, no need for silly thumbnails and what is this 100 max PM messages not to mention the zillions of features only programmers use?
When I leave this new "cave" and am blinded by the brightness of Google and most other sites.
Mike is an excellent programmer, vitness devilman's OD Iron site, but IMHO, his expertise has been misdirected here.
Are "lurkers" identified now, that's creepy?

Please, keep the old one intact for all of us to enjoy like we enjoy vintage MVs for their purposeful design.

Last edited:

dc3coyote

I got to agree with Bjorn on the darkness of the new site, I like some of the other features, the Similar features block is GREAT. I cant however see the site in the daytime or if I have any light behind me.

Still thanks, Mike for the new site design.

Mike_Pop

Be careful Bjorn. Only positive critique is allowed on this site or The Steel Soldiers Animal Farm will respond like this:

Originally Posted by mangus580
yanno what guys... screw it... I have had enough of this BS.

I was up until 2 am last night busting my ass to try to make this place better for all of YOU. I have many many hours in this so far, and have many more to go. I am wonder why... People complained about the old setup, people complain about the new...

Why dont I let YOU guys just do whatever the hell you want? I certainly have much better things I could be spending my time on!

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. The new site is great for us that use/understand computers. If your not so computer savvy, I don't think you'll use it. I'm thinking of the stereotype MV guy, loves the trucks, has a business(or not), knows a lot about the trucks, and only uses a computer when he has to. The kind of guy you find a parts meet. Clearing cookies? enhanced post editor? They don't have a clue, and aren't going to be posting, which is sad, because of all the knowledge/help we are going to be missing.

I'm going to say I like some of the new features of the new forum, but perfer the familiar, easy to use/read old forum.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You took the words right out of my mouth, Stretch.:roll:

54reo

I like the new site.

Everything about it is new and exciting.

I have tried to understand the issue I keep hearing about the "darkness" of the new site colors. Everything from "it hurts my eyes" to "I can't see anything" has been expressed, but I have yet to comprehend how one can see the site well enough to complain when the screen is too dark due to the color. As for the comments on the new site causing pain,... good grief :roll:.

Given time, the vast majority of folks will wonder how we ever got around on the old site.

That said, Bjorn's request for the old site to remain up in a locked status would be a good concept. Unless it would be cost prohibitive to keep two sites up.

devilman96

Guys... Mike has already said he would work on a different color scheme AFTER he gets a chance to debug some of this stuff...

He has ALSO said that PS will get moved... Over and over and over and over!

This isn’t a matter of positive or negative feedback, it’s about being patient. If you want to contribute something you’re welcome to step and start writing code, otherwise… Seriously quit sounding like a bunch of old women and let people work!

and again... the old forum was unsupported... unsecure... pushed well beyond its limits for what it was doing. It had become very unmanageable and was only still up and running due to constant TLC and micro managing by Mike... Its going away, that is that!

Time to start locking down threads… Everyone has an opinion but that doesn’t mean it’s in any way helpful!!! Allow the time for the adjustment and tweaking as the changes are made!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I need you guys to settle down and give it some time. You have fiddled around with the site for a couple of days and are already going to throw in the towel? You guys will do a restoration on a MV that spans hundreds to thousands of hours, but you want the site done right this very minute? Have a little patience!!

There are a lot of great things we can do here that were never possible with the old software. The PS Mags will be coming over. The new video gallery/player will be fantastic. The new TM library will be much better. The search engine will work much better. There will be multiple themes to choose from with different colored backgrounds.

There are a ton of things that need to be brought over and it was entirely too much to do at once without a bunch of bugs and snares. This will be an evolving process and we will be able to make adjustments as we go. So please lay off of Mike for now and let him get his work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.