• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A trailer story

citizensoldier

Here is a story of a WWII Ben Hur trailer I acquired. As a child in the late 70's, I remember this trailer parked in my best friend's driveway. I recall fun-filled days of climbing on it, walking under it and even bumping it with my bigwheel as I traversed the drive at lightning speed!! I learned that Jerry, my best friend's father, purchased the trailer in the early 1950's from a Surplus guy who owned a small airport in Flushing, Michigan. He told me it was airdropped onto the runway along with other goods and had a genset mounted in it. It was put out to the road for sale and sat that way for many, many months as Jerry drove by. One day Jerry finally decided to stop in to talk with the old WWII vet who owned the surplus store and airport and managed to strike a deal he could afford- minus the genset. After paying the debt in full , Jerry took the trailer home. It was at this time the trailer began its life of hauling firewood in the summer and while crossing the straights of Mackinac on the ferry where the Mighty Mac now towers, it made annual pilgrimages to the U.P. during deer season. It faithfully followed many vehicles on this journey with the last being a 1976 K5 Blazer with a 3 speed and creeper gear.

Well fast forward to around 1998 shortly after I drug home my first rusted out M37.. I made a trip to the now foreign land to witness a wedding between this childhood friend and his first wife. The subject of Military trucks came up at the reception and low and behold he told me Jerry still had the trailer and she was sitting out in the brush in very bad shape. I then struck a deal with Jerry. With some usable tires put on that were found at a local junk yard and a $30 light kit installed, she was once again headed North. This time, to become a part of my collection. About half way home she started leaving chunks of spring on the E way so a stop at the nearest hardware store was needed. Some redneck engineering resulted in U bolting the springs in 4 spots but she held together until I got home!

At the time, I knew very little about Ben Hur Trailers. Now began the research.. This is a wooden model and through various sources I was able to buy factory original springs,axle, safety hooks and chains, rims, upper rails, lights, parking brake and handle, light kit, front swivel and pintle hitch, original marble reflectors and more. She now sits covered--patiently waiting for the restoration I will one day give her.

Well, there is more. Today I opened a Christmas Card from Jerry (who was more of a father to me than my own). And what do you think was in it?!!?. The original data plate that Jerry swore he still had but could not find. It was removed when the 'ole gal got fresh wood sides during the 1960's! I now have the serial #'s along with the maker Redman Trailer, Co. Alma Michigan, 2/24/44. I think it's time for that pile of NOS parts to become a beautifully restored WWII Ben Hur trailer!

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I am currently retrieving pictures of this trailer from over the years, in various forms, hauling many different bucks, and hooked to multiple vehicles. We even have pictures of me and my friend standing in front of it while on a childhood duck hunt! We are dressed in camouflage face included standing in a sled with our cork ball shooting lever actions! The top of my head is just below the top of the tire.:-D They will have to be scanned and put into digital form first.

koolex11

The only thing that could make that story better would be Peter Billingsley following you on the E-way and breaking his glasses on your shards of flying metal. You made me want to stick my tongue to a pole, but I'm sure my wife might have something to say about it...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing that could make that story better would be Peter Billingsley following you on the E-way and breaking his glasses on your shards of flying metal. You made me want to stick my tongue to a pole, but I'm sure my wife might have something to say about it...

Well snice you don't have a pole , you can try this link; Lane, you are in trouble!

citizensoldier

I hope to restore the trailer documenting it. Refine the story with my editor "wife" and add more of the details to the story. I will then submit it to Supply line and Military Vehicle Magazine. So you might see this again some day.