• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A trip to RAF Upper Heyford (and back in time...)

KallyLC

Last weekend, some friends and I were invited to the former home of the USAF's 20th Tactical Fighter Wing, here in England, RAF Upper Heyford.

Though it's now been repurposed as a business park, the flightline is still largely intact, and the Upper Heyford Heritage Center put on regular bus tours of the former airfield. My friends and I are re-enactors who portray a late 80s USAF Security Police team, and we were invited to accompany the tour to help bring the former airfield to life for the day.

I purchased my M1008 largely because the group needed a vehicle for doing what we do, and as an ex-air force truck, this is almost certainly what it would've been doing in service. So on Sunday, I put on my Air Force show plates, put on the light bar, and for just a few hours out there on the flightline, where you couldn't see any of the modern stuff, it was 1987 again.

IMG_3294.JPG

I only got a couple of polaroids, as I was too busy driving the truck and holding a rifle, but the photographer who was with us for the day got some great shots of the M1008 in its natural habitat.

1655285861083.png
1655285905736.png
1655285977589.png

Not pictured is me hitting 60mph down the main runway with the lights and sirens on, trying in vain to catch up with the tour bus. Unsurprisingly, it turns out a 1 1/4 ton truck isn't built to be a pursuit vehicle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks