• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A very personal question...Dipstick Length?

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long is your dipstick...

I just took delivery of my first MV, a bobbed M35A2. And it looks like it has way too much oil in the pan, 3-4" above the "FULL" line. Something else that puzzles me is that the dipstick has a brazed area below the threads, where the dipstick rod was folded back against itself and brazed. So, I want to make sure the dipstick hasn't been hacked, and it's calibration is correct, then I'll work on figuring out if the last owner just put too much oil in, or if it's making oil. The dipstick I have measures about 21 inches from the bottom of the threaded ferule to the "FULL" line. What does a typical LDT 465 dipstick (Hercules in this case) measure between the ferule and full line?

Any help is appreciated,

MN

Last edited by a moderator:

snowtrac nome

Oilis properly gauged after the truck is started,run long enough to allow the oil cooler to fill than shut back down.There is a time limit to let it sit I don't remember how long it is

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your description sounds correct but i can't confirm the length.

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it's 60 seconds from shut-down to accurately gauge oil level, and from what I've read, the oil level should be about 1.25 inches above FULL when the oil has completely drained down (after 6 hours), my oil level is WAY higher than 1.25" above FULL on the dipstick I have.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My dipstick was 22 inches about 30 years ago. Now it's about 2. Must have been all the wear and tear on it.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

I just took delivery of my first MV, a bobbed M35A2. And it looks like it has way too much oil in the pan, 3-4" above the "FULL" line. Something else that puzzles me is that the dipstick has a brazed area below the threads, where the dipstick rod was folded back against itself and brazed. So, I want to make sure the dipstick hasn't been hacked, and it's calibration is correct, then I'll work on figuring out if the last owner just put too much oil in, or if it's making oil. The dipstick I have measures about 21 inches from the bottom of the threaded ferule to the "FULL" line. What does a typical LDT 465 dipstick (Hercules in this case) measure between the ferule and full line?

So change the oil and check it as per TM.
Its only 5 gallons and filters and copper gaskets, 150 bucks.
Then you can see where it is really supposed to be.

For a very personal question ask Miss Connie Rod page 5, PS magazine issue 175, June 1967

She'll straighten you out.

dipstick page005 issue 175 1967.jpg

View attachment PS_Magazine_Issue_175_June_1967.pdf

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So change the oil and check it as per TM.
Its only 5 gallons and filters and copper gaskets, 150 bucks.
Then you can see where it is really supposed to be.

For a very personal question ask Miss Connie Rod page 5, PS magazine issue 175, June 1967

She'll straighten you out.

View attachment 656671

View attachment 656674
Thank You!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
IMG_0813.jpg

understand that original design is to have ALL the drainable oil fall to the pan with engine off.

And each mark equals how much?
If you have original dipstick it is clearly marked how to check oil, don't screw it in.

TM 9-2320-361-10 WP 0045 00

Check engine oil level as follows: if you have new fangled spin on filters this is not true.

a. When checking cold, oil level should be approximately 1––1.5 in.
above FULL mark. Add oil as necessary; do not overfill

b. When checking hot, oil level should be between ADD and FULL marks. Add
oil as necessary; do not overfill.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am surprised that no one has specifically shouted:

READ THE TM'S

yet.

You are new to the truck and haven't even read the operator's manuals !!!

By asking the question, it is rather obvious that thus far you are ill-prepared to function as an 18-year old, 120 pound G.I. in your Uncle Sam's motor pool.

I'm glad none of the battle-hardened old coots around here haven't jumped in your stuff over this yet.

Be blessed with your new toy truck.

Carry on.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

READ THE TM'S

yet.

By asking the question, it is rather obvious that thus far you are ill-prepared to function as an 18-year old, 120 pound G.I. in your Uncle Sam's motor pool.

I'm glad none of the battle-hardened old coots around here haven't jumped in your stuff over this yet.

Carry on.
I was trying the subtle approach with
TM 9-2320-361-10 WP 0045 00
Didn't want to get slammed

And who was that that almost always prodded to read the TM's, collect the TM's, understand the TM's , He was good..................

I still have a hard time understanding purchase of a really old, heavily altered, 12,000 pound truck and driving it around like a new truck.

I do note that the newbies have another 40 years to go, a luxury I have not.

Last edited:

rustystud

READ THE TM'S

yet.

Carry on.
I just saw this post and now I must get on this unread young bucks behind for not reading the TM's !!! That alone makes me angry !!! ;)
Oh and when I was in, I was a 150 Ibs . By the time I got out I was 170 and rock solid. Now I'm 250 and well we won't talk about it.

Last edited:

ageregunner

I just saw this post and now I must get on this unread young bucks behind for not reading the TM's !!! That alone makes me angry !!! ;)
Oh and when I was in, I was a 150 Ibs . By the time I got out I was 170 and rock solid. Now I'm 250 and well we won't talk about it.
Like me, you must be shining up the bottom of the steering wheel when you drive.

Yes 21 1/8 inches to full mark. The multifuel in my 5 ton was always up and down when I changed to the no drain spin on filters it was a lot better .

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The one and only question I asked is what the distance should be from the ferule to the full line. My oil level, as delivered by the last owner, is 3-4" above the full line, obviously out of spec, AND NOT DONE BY ME. I just wanted to make sure my dipstick hadn't been tampered with, so I could solve the problem myself. Nowhere was I asking to be lead by the hand regarding checking and changing oil. Some of you boys were/are cynical enough to have mistakenly read that into my question on your own accord. I've been researching M35A2's and 3's long before I took delivery of this truck, including reading through 9-2320-361-24-1, Field and sustainment maintenance, and a few others. My wife and I have operated an automotive reconditioning business for over 30 years. There's no way we could have been as successful as we've been if we weren't diligent about how we do things. Keep in mind, there can be literally tens of thousands of pages in the TM's. And, to assume anyone knows every syllable of all those manuals right from the get-go is unrealistic, including the 21.125" from ferule to full line tidbit. A few of you boys need to push away from the keyboard, take a nap, take a pill, get some therapy, or do whatever it is you need to do to act like a grownup. There's no question on this thread or even on this forum worthy of the aggression and authoritarian attitude you've shown here towards someone new who was asking for a bit of help so they could solve a problem for themselves.

Many Thanks to those who actually, correctly, read my OP, and answered it with civility.

MN

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought...
Now that you know your dipstick is correct, you might look into the possibility that your getting fuel or water/antifreeze in your oil.
Good luck!

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought...
Now that you know your dipstick is correct, you might look into the possibility that your getting fuel or water/antifreeze in your oil.
Good luck!
Thank You. I don't have milkshake going on in the crankcase, and no globs floating in the radiator, so I'm hoping the last owner just didn't get both sumps emptied before dumping in the new oil. But, right now it's about 8 degrees here, so I'll get back after it when things warm up a bit.

MN

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks