• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 motor upgrade option questions

skav

I've had my 932 for a few months now and really dig it but always looks for more. I don't plan to drag race the truck but would like to pull a load up grades without slowing to a crawl.

I started looking into motor swap options and came up with the following. I'm looking for input on each so please post any ideas, useful info or experience.

Option 1: L10.

Option 2: N14

Option 3: BC400

nevrenufhp

Since yours is an a2, build the 8.3 unless you are hauling cargo most of the time.
That's my vote too. The benefit of the 8.3 is the added rpm, vs those other options listed. Much added power will also tax the Allison.
Add bigger injectors, pump and timing adjustments, gov springs, turbo, intercooler, and a good manual trans....Done.

skav

Did you already turn up the pump? How heavy of a load are you pulling? Putting in a bigger transmission?
That's my vote too. The benefit of the 8.3 is the added rpm, vs those other options listed. Much added power will also tax the Allison.
Add bigger injectors, pump and timing adjustments, gov springs, turbo, intercooler, and a good manual trans....Done.
The pump is turned up a bit and I installed the gov springs nevrenufhp hooked me up with. Thanks!!! The fuel didn't make a big difference but the springs now let it high idle to 3200rpm.

My biggest issue is the egts. It will climb past 1400 if I keep my foot in it.

Dale, I'll call tomorrow to pick your brain a bit on the egt issue.

Anyway, I was just looking at other options because I came across a reasonably priced N14.

profo

If you find a answer on EGT's I will be great full I have done basically the same thing I do have a hx50 turbo to put on next the only other thing I want to try is water/menthol injection.

red

At what rpm range are the EGT's spiking and what's your boost pressure? I'd add an intercooler before plumbing in water/methanol injection.

profo

At what rpm range are the EGT's spiking and what's your boost pressure? I'd add an intercooler before plumbing in water/methanol injection.
upon acceleration and just going down the hwy at 60 mph its turning about 2100 rpm, now thats it winter ran it the other day with 56 degrees outside at cruising at 60 it was 1100-1200, cant put inter cooler cause no room got air conditioner condenser in front of radiator, probe is before turbo also in manifold. Also see your in the oil field also hows yall business we are in survival mode with gas prices as low as they are layoffs everywhere!! A few hundred to thousand so far just in our area.

Last edited:

skav

If you find a answer on EGT's I will be great full I have done basically the same thing I do have a hx50 turbo to put on next the only other thing I want to try is water/menthol injection.
I'll have the truck back next week so I'll make a video of the gauges.

My first thoughts are to check pump timing, bring it to 16 and back off the top fuel screw per Dale's advice.

Then adjust the rear screw for more rack travel.

red

upon acceleration and just going down the hwy at 60 mph its turning about 2100 rpm, now thats it winter ran it the other day with 56 degrees outside at cruising at 60 it was 1100-1200, cant put inter cooler cause no room got air conditioner condenser in front of radiator, probe is before turbo also in manifold. Also see your in the oil field also hows yall business we are in survival mode with gas prices as low as they are layoffs everywhere!! A few hundred to thousand so far just in our area.
Sadly my employer closed down last summer. I'm working on tractor/trailers, dump trucks, and construction equipment right now.

Motiracer38

I'll have the truck back next week so I'll make a video of the gauges.

My first thoughts are to check pump timing, bring it to 16 and back off the top fuel screw per Dale's advice.

Then adjust the rear screw for more rack travel.
Whatever you do take plenty of notes on how it's done. I'll be bugging you for them later this year when I finally get around to working on mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks