• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 to A3 Extended Service Life Conversion

panshark

I've read that when building the M35a3, 3 M35a2's would be used to build 2 A3's. Use 3 trucks to build 2. I've searched, but haven't found explanations on what specifically was used, what was tossed, etc.

Can anyone explain how to cannibalize a bunch of M35A2's and make some A3's?

If this has already been covered, I would appreciate a link to the thread, as I have been unable to find out more info on the conversion program.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think most of it had to do with getting enough good parts AND to cut the hoods in half for the Cat motor. If you see any early A3s, they have a horrid hood that was cut down the center and riveted back together.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember too, out of the 3 A2's-how many had good enough sheetmetal to use?

panshark

anything special done with the wheels? like scrap together 2 stock, split-ring wheels and make a super single?

What about the upgrade on the brake lines?

lonegunman

Go to the regular Deuce section, it is covered and cried about over and over. In a nutshell, the Army questioned the number of useful parts on the three trucks and expected some to be so worn they were not rebuildable. Therefore you used three trucks to make two.

In reality, the trucks were in far better shape and AM General made money on the deal.

Why do this? Because a thirty year old manual steering, manual tranny, manual brake truck that could not pass emmissions and lacked spare parts was not desirable. They wanted a way to make a truck with 90% the capability of the new FMTV series for 1/2 the cost to issue to guard units.

Last year, I bought a 1999 built M35A3 with 6500 miles on a Cat engine, Allison trans and fully rebuilt everything else.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been a long debated topic that I'd like to know too. "Army logic" getting 2 trucks from 3 doesnt make much sense..but who knows. Maybe they just converted 2 A2's into A3's and decommissioned one truck to take it off their books and downsize. Just a thought. Any insight would be much appreciated.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been a long debated topic that I'd like to know too. "Army logic" getting 2 trucks from 3 doesnt make much sense..but who knows. Maybe they just converted 2 A2's into A3's and decommissioned one truck to take it off their books and downsize. Just a thought. Any insight would be much appreciated.
You are taking 3 trucks basically at the end of their service life. The biggest components reused were the bodies, frames, suspension, and axles. Out of 3 M35A2 trucks, how many have these bad components on them? The rest of the drivetrain was basically replaced/upgraded along with other subsystems. In the end-it saved money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks