• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 vs A3 crashed in the driveway-the aftermath

voltedge

Well old Deuce 1 and modernized deuce 0. This is what 14,000 lbs worth of truck rolling rather backing at you from the bed with no brakes does to another one that can't get out of the way quick enough. Lessons learned: deuces don't stop with the engine off and the air brake compressor not working. When using a logging chain to pull a dead truck and you can't get out of the way of a run away truck, hammer down on the throttle and drag the dead truck up the hill to keep from hitting you. Finally, after checking the damage once the wrecked truck is rolled back,don't restart the truck because the throttle could be hung and cause a second impact just as bad if not worse! Not sure which way I'm going to go with the A3, I'll either rob the modern upgrades and put on the classic and then sell the Caterpillar 3116 and Allison 4 speed automatic to someone who may need one or I may spend quiet a few greenbacks to repair it. It already needed a new cab swap to eradicate the massive amount of rust or a ton of body repair and the bed is used pretty well and rusted bad too. I would like to take the air steering, steering wheel, air ride seat,super single tires n wheels and the bed rails/cargo cover bows and troop seats off and install on the A2. I'm sure there are some other things such as the electric windshield wipers, plastic battery tray, solar battery maintainer kit, marker and running lamps, front bumper step and additional tow hooks, etc that I can swap too.10407091_1040651799296477_3460777577253114013_n.jpg11150190_1040651935963130_8756164166563115914_n.jpg11156203_1040651859296471_2946257290323365910_n.jpg At least no one was hurt and it was on some old trucks!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No sense in pointing out anything except to say that so long as no one was hurt it's just a big toy that got broke. Not you.

FloridaAKM

Ouch, that's a heart breaker. Glad no one was injured. Let her sit for a while & take another look when your head is cleared as to a plan of action. They are meant to be rebuilt, its a matter of time & $$$! Take care & be safe.

voltedge

Thanks for the reassurances! I've found some replacement parts on eBay already. At least this has got me involved in swapping the cab like I had planned! So blessed not to have anyone seriously injured!
11150198_1040666519295005_4129007929480992550_n.jpgNotice the minor scrapes and lack of damage on the ole A2!

rustystud

Very glad you where not in the middle of that ! I know what can happen when heavy equipment is rolling around unchecked. Maybe someday I'll tell you what happened to a guy in the Marines with me in the tank unit.

voltedge

Since I've had a chance to reflect on the mess, I've decided to go ahead and tear it down and write a parts estimate like a body shop would and then get a good idea on the repair amount. Like I posted previously, the cab is rusted through in multiple locations and now it looks like a sardine can rip where the left hood hinge is mounted to the cowl. Ironically, this is the same area of the cowl that has had a hack repair with tons of fiberglass smeared over it. Will go ahead and do a complete cab replacement since this is the case rather than trying to patch an already bad patch job. Will update...
BTW>Thanks for the comments and support!