• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 wont crank... Starter K.I.A.??

my69camaro

Just went out back 10min ago to start my 1971 deuce. It's been sitting about a month now. Hop in and flip the battery switch, air buzzer on and volt gauge good.. Hit the start switch and it cranked for maybe a second then dead.

With the power switch on the buzzer and volt gauge operate but as soon as I hit the start switch everything goes dead until I release the start switch..

Did my starter just kick the bucket? At least I have a parts truck with a spare if needed.

Have had the truck almost 2yrs with no issues.

Heavysteven

I would clean the battery connections, starter connections (pull the battery leads off first),and clean the grounds. Charge batteries then go from there.

I had similiar problem because one of my battery terminals was loose.

Jake0147

Connections must be good, however the first check should be the batteries themselves. The volt gauge operates, but what did it say? When you flipped the switch on, the needle came up, but how far? When the starter button was pressed, how far did said voltage get dragged down? That information should be your guide. It will either lead you directly to a solution, or would tell you what order pursue the two valid, plausible, and possibly even likely, yet completely different diagnostic paths above, or possibly others not yet mentioned.

If the gauge's accuracy is unknown, unverified, or untrustworthy, then a quick stab with a volt meter through the battery box door would be in order.

my69camaro

Checked batteries... They are 12.7v and 12.6v... Cleaned connections at starter and at batteries, no change.

When starter switch is pushed the volt gauge goes dead and the air buzzer dies, when I release the button the volt gauge goes back to green and air buzzer comes back.

Crazyguyla

sounds like bad batteries. I had the same problem with my truck. Both batteries showed proper voltage, but they both had a dead cell. Take the batteries to get load tested.

Jake0147

That is not a diagnosis, but it certainly gives you a clue towards a "most likely" cause, and thus can begin a systematic and logical progression to nail down the culprit. If it's a hydrolock (or other mechanical interference) then you have that PLUS an electrical problem.

The starter can't draw enough (without starting a fire or at least smelling badly burned) to pull the batteries down that far. It would have to be melted solid inside. Good batteries, fully charged at that, you should indeed see the needle twitch, but not that much. That would indicate that the problem is more than likely still an electrical one, not mechanical.

Put your volt meter across both batteries. Black lead on the low negative, red lead on the high positive. Set the meter inside the passenger door, and press the starter button. Some drop is expected. six to ten volts dropped MAY indicate a bad starter, MAY indicate a stuck motor. More than that dropped indicates junk batteries. Little to no drop indicates a bad starter or bad wiring...

If that passes, Load test the power circuit. Red probe at the high battery positive, black lead at the starter solenoid top post.
Load test the ground circuit. Red probe at the starter ground stud, black probe at the low battery negative post. Perhaps do that before the power side, since from your post I gather there are unchecked connections in this "leg" of the circuit. That would (could) also effectively shunt all of the in-cab accessories.

I wouldn't want more than a volt on either the ground side or the power side while it was cranking. Higher than that indicates resistance in the circuit. You need volts, because your ohm setting is very low powered, with only a few miliamps which the circuit can obviously support, and will not yield a usable result on a circuit with this large of a current draw.

When testing voltage drops, clamp your clamp carefully. On the starter it would be directly on the metal stud, and NOT on the wire terminals themselves. At the battery, the probe should contact the battery post it's self, not the terminals or adapters. This makes the test all inclusive of the wiring/circuit related items for ruling out batteries and starters. You can use the tests to break down the failure further, to dirty terminals, rusted corroded wires inside the crimps, open wires inside the insulation, etc. This will get you started.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks