• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

...-A2's and ether starting.

ichudov

*** THIS POST APPLIES TO ...-A2 VEHICLES ONLY! ***

I have a M931A2 tractor, and I noticed that its ether starting system is more complicated than on my M927.

First, there are two small lines going to the ether bottle. One goes to the main opening and another to a little opening on the side.

1) What does that another line do?
2) What are the bottles with the same threaded hole on the side? Where can I get them?

The one I bought at Napa screws in nicely, but the fitting on the truck does not screw into the hole on the side of the bottle.

Secondly, I am slightly confused how the ether is actuated. Is that correct that it is only actuated during actual cranking? That's what the plate next to the button seems to imply.

Could someone clarify this. If there is a manual that I missed that talks about it I would love a reference. I read TM9-2320-272-10.pdf and did not find much.

Thanks

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M931 (not an A2) has the very same system.

The thing with 2 hoses is the thermal safety valve (mechanical thermostatic switch)

The data plate on the dash clearly explains to push the button in to charge the system and release the button to discharge the ether(charge).

I just used mine today.

Ether tanks are sold at big truck & tractor dealers and parts houses.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the -10tm, under operating instructions, cold weather starting.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And once again, if you want to know what something is, look at the parts TMs.

A search for ether, gets you to the page. Easy enough to identify the part in question.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 styles of bottle fittings under the hood. The later ones have a cap with a chain to block off / seal when not using it without the bottle and when they do have a bottle the cap has a bracket holder on the side that the cap screws on to to hold it out of the way. The spaghetti tubing routing should be the same on either one.

ichudov

There are 2 styles of bottle fittings under the hood. The later ones have a cap with a chain to block off / seal when not using it without the bottle and when they do have a bottle the cap has a bracket holder on the side that the cap screws on to to hold it out of the way. The spaghetti tubing routing should be the same on either one.
Do you have two spaghetti tubes? Why two? instead of one, like on my M927

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is common 1/8 tubing ,ferrules, and tubing nuts, used for air brakes, air shocks etc available at any hd store.

I suspect you have a broken and/or missing fitting(s). I had to completely re work all my tubing and had a smashed fitting at the air box connection.

Check out this page with the routing:

Attachments

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My ether system isn't working either, and I have a question on using a spray can of ether (regular automotive starting fluid). Is there a safe way to use hand-sprayed starting fluid on an A2? Does the turbo complicate anything? My idea is to just remove air filter and fog intake there. Will this hurt anything (I haven't done it yet)?

I will follow your warnings and advice as I don't want to hurt my truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks