• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 4x4

tobyS

Is there a camber (or is it caster) angle that has to be built into the new rear spring axle mount or is the spring parallel to the axle top where a CR flat would work? I have some 1x3. I'm not sure I could duplicate Steve's top spacer where the bolts wrap around, over the springs so will be exploring options there...maybe square U-bolts around the axle or straight bolts with plates, where shocks would mount. I have lots of 1" plate to work with.

Please bear with me for talking this through before I start...I'm gathering supplies and that can stretch into a long process as money comes and goes. I'm trying to get tires and had high hopes for one of the last auctions...then lost at the last overtime extension. Darn.

rustystud

I would never label third party information as proof. I have come across quite a few mistakes in those manuals before, so I would rather have seen something from the manufacturer. I just find it hard to believe that a truck frame like that would not be factory hardened. It's not like it's that difficult to harden a frame, and it gives it so much more strength. I don't know... I'm still sceptical.
OK, I'm just going to say this one thing and then drop this subject. First I would not say a military FM or TM manual is third party information. That is basically the manufacturer of the truck (as they set all the design criteria) saying this is what your suppose to do and how to do it. Are there small little mistakes ? Yes of course. Like the torque value is incorrect or some such thing, but to say the frame is not hardened and you can weld on it would be the mistake of the century !!! If you had the manual you would read further on that there was a reason for having the frames like this. They expected severe damage to the deuce in combat and needed it to be repairable in the field. The manual goes into great detail explaining the welding process and how to weld it and with what rod to use and the frame supports and where to put them. Again they would not do that if you are not suppose to weld on it ! If you cannot except the FM or TM manuals to be correct then there is no evidence you will ever except about these trucks and therefore no reason to even try and explain to you anything about them again. Since all explanations would revolve around the manuals which you do not except as factual.
End of story.

tobyS

Rusty, To an inexperienced welder it is probably a lot better to be skeptical than over-confident and think that a spit-on weld is a real structural connection. He has no business attempting to weld one of these and may or may not have a friend that is qualified/certified.

But that makes you both right ....TSM to be skeptical (mostly because he (must be) an inexperienced welder) and you rusty, for posting the military TM...as far as most SS member are concerned.... is case closed. I am glad that the welding question was definitively answered...thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks