• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 air filter on LDT

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per several pieces of info/advice I changed my LDT intake rockers to LDS rockers as it was reported this was the single biggest part of the increased power. Test run seemed to indicate I need more air. While I am looking for more power, I really want to keep the temps down.

I know I've got some sheet metal to do and different piping but is there any advice from someone who has done this?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have more than you could shake a stick at. Come out to the Findlay rally in May and you won't have to worry about shipping charges. It is a great rally and lots of vehicles and people to meet/see!

What a PITA that Donaldson won't let you link directly to one of their products.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you notice that the engine sounds different with the different rockers. The 5 ton fender mount air box is a common upgrade to increase air flow.
Yes, but it's been months since I last ran it and I've done other maintenance.
It does sound like there is s thump-thump-thump. around the air intake. Other sounds, clacking, seem to have gone away. Comparing the two different rockers, eyeballing I could see no difference in dimension or design. Hope I did not throw away the money for them.

DaneGer21

It does sound like there is s thump-thump-thump. around the air intake. Other sounds, clacking, seem to have gone away. Comparing the two different rockers, eyeballing I could see no difference in dimension or design. Hope I did not throw away the money for them.
The difference is where the adjusting nut is and where the adjuster contacts. Supposedly it contacts at a different angle, causing a slight change is ratio. I haven’t compared mine yet

V8srfun

I don’t think you wasted money they are supposed to have a higher ratio and I doubt you would see a visible difference without really examining them. Remember that valve lift is measured in thousandths so without precise measurements you may not see any difference.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I misspoke. I'm going for an LDS air cleaner not from an A3.
From what I've read the LDS air cleaner is about 400CFM, LDTS450 CFM.
Got one on order, NOS with filter $225.00. Plus connections and sheet metal.

DaneGer21

I misspoke. I'm going for an LDS air cleaner not from an A3.
From what I've read the LDS air cleaner is about 400CFM, LDTS450 CFM.
Got one on order, NOS with filter $225.00. Plus connections and sheet metal.
I’d be interested in that price! Shoot me a message if you don’t wanna post from where

rustystud

I have more than you could shake a stick at. Come out to the Findlay rally in May and you won't have to worry about shipping charges. It is a great rally and lots of vehicles and people to meet/see!

What a PITA that Donaldson won't let you link directly to one of their products.
Are you selling them in the "classifieds" section ? If so, I could not find them.

davidb56

there would be a difference in the fulcrum. measure the distance between that and the center of the push rod contact. and then compare the 2.

davidb56

Didn't do any measuring.
So the one on the left in the pics is the higher ratio? hard to tell without measuring, but the total amount is in the thousandths. changing the rocker ratio is sort of like getting a higher lift camshaft. I would think if you had them mounted side by side, one would open the valve maybe 25-30 thousands more, which is more air stuffed in the cylinder.
This has a pic that shows it better....https://www.performancetrends.com/Definitions/Rocker-Ratio.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input.
pulling the radiator so I can get a socket on the crank for adjusting the valves after retorque. If it warms up a little more should get adjusted today, maybe tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks