• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 air tank

Ma Duce

there is an airtank under the truck, behind the transmission inbetween the frame rails. About the size of a fire extinguisher. right above the drive shaft.

Can anyone tell me what this tank is for? is for the CTIS, trans or brakes?

I was having a hard time chasing down all the lines and where they went. I haven't been able to find a picture inthe TMs.

Ma Duce

there was a hard line comng from the engine compartment under the truck to a seires of hoses and the tank had a bracket that mounted it to the frame, i think behind the parking brake drum on the drive shaft behind the cab and fuel tank. there was about 3 or 4 air lines running around there.

had a flashligh in one hand and was reaching up there with the other so no pics. i'll rmember next time.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is an airtank under the truck, behind the transmission inbetween the frame rails. About the size of a fire extinguisher. right above the drive shaft. Can anyone tell me what this tank is for? is for the CTIS, trans or brakes? I was having a hard time chasing down all the lines and where they went. I haven't been able to find a picture inthe TMs.
You may be looking at the CTIS manifold or the air dryer. There are only two airtanks on an A3. There are several diagrams on the compressed air system on an A3 in the TMs, but they appear in different sectiions, CTIS, brakes, compressor, power assist steering, etc. I agree, they can be very confusing. I found the best way to figure out the air system is to print out the drawings on paper and use multi-colored highlighters to trace the different circuits. It made a lot more sense after I did this. Are you haveing problems, or are you just curious? I was having multiple symptoms on my A3s compressed air system. It turned out that I had a defective compressor unloader, a defective air dryer, and sticking valves in my power steering assist actuator. It works great now.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right behind the fuel tank, passenger side is the CTIS manifold. Air dryer is further back on the drivers side.

Page 390 in the TM for the A3.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ma Duce, as I mentioned in my PMs, do an advanced search on this site for A3 recoveries. You will find a lot of good information for your recovery. Where is the GL location you are recovering from?

CyrusAres

Quick question! I think it is very possible my air dryer is bad or has never been serviced... anyone know of a new dryer which doesn’t cost more than 400 which is as good as if not better? How hard it it to fix the old ones?

URSATDX

I rebuilt my Pure air dryer for for under under $150.
It's easy to do. I, also, sanded the housing and painted it.
Best part is it it goes right back in.
When you consider a new dryer there will be additional
work required for any changes in mounting or plumbing.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can get a Haldex Purest type from Suprman. contact him at will@ pawnking. com. This is what alot of the LMTV and 5 ton guys use.

or from member FuzzyToaster, he has a wabco style available for around $70. It takes some special boss type fittings to make it work and drilling out a port for your existing governor

rustystud

You can get a Haldex Purest type from Suprman. contact him at will@ pawnking. com. This is what alot of the LMTV and 5 ton guys use.

or from member FuzzyToaster, he has a wabco style available for around $70. It takes some special boss type fittings to make it work and drilling out a port for your existing governor
Or just go with a "Bendix AD 9" like I and many others have done. It costs about $180.00 up front but the rebuilds only cost $50.00 or less. My last rebuild cost only $35.00 . This air-dryer has been around for decades so parts are available everywhere.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or keep your eyes on Ebay. I bought a completely new Haldex 24V air dryer on Ebay for $50.00 last year that was an identical replacement except that it was black and not green. I also had to reverse the mounting bracket on the new Haldex. Works great. As an aside, the 24V heater elements burn out and are somewhat difficult to find. Also, the electrical connection is somewhat liable to lose connection. These units are re-pairable.

rustystud

Or keep your eyes on Ebay. I bought a completely new Haldex 24V air dryer on Ebay for $50.00 last year that was an identical replacement except that it was black and not green. I also had to reverse the mounting bracket on the new Haldex. Works great. As an aside, the 24V heater elements burn out and are somewhat difficult to find. Also, the electrical connection is somewhat liable to lose connection. These units are re-pairable.
Or just go with the "Bendix AD9" and only pay $40.00 or less to rebuild it. Also the 24 volt elements are very easy to find and cheap ! The Haldex will cost you four times the amount in it's lifetime over the Bendix. More if you actually replace the desiccant every two years (every year in wet climates) like you are suppose to. Which would you rather do. Rebuild the Haldex for $150.00 (one of the cheapest prices I've seen) or pay $40.00 (I payed $35.00 last time) for the Bendix ? Remember you are suppose to do this every two years (every year in wet climates). In ten years you will have payed $750.00 (minimum, much more in reality) for the Haldex or Payed $200.00 (or less) for the Bendix. For me that's not much of a brainer.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So I installed my new air tanks and replaced parts in dryer... fired her up and there is a large leak somewhere between the compressor and the tanks... FML
So, to search and be quiet just put service air into the glad hand then search for the leak.
I don't know which glad hand on your truck, the Deuce was right rear, but that doesn't help you.
Anyhow, that way there is no noise and you can Snoop long time GI, no fuel, no noise, much safer, try that you'll like it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks