• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Crew Cab Build Starts

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are doing a remarkable job and I admire the creativity and craftsmanship that you and others share on this forum. Thanks for that!

And this comes from a guy who doesn' t really like to see these trucks chopped, bobbed and otherwise mutilated. For every dozen or so mutilations there seems to be the one really cool, innovative build where one can concede that the truck could have come from the factory like that.....and maybe should have!

asgtoolman

Did some more work today. I am starting to see progress and feeling good about it. Today I mounted the other two 1600 R20s on the rims. I also built the rear axle housing today. Its begining to look like a Deuce again. My friend that is helping me, by providing me a place to build my truck, came to me and gave me a set off electronic key less door openers with poppers. He is going to have his body man shave my door handles and install them.

The rear doors will be suicide. I am not going to install the key less entry on them. I will add poppers but I will just reach in when I get in the truck to open the back door if needed. The handle will be right there behind my seat.

I am looking for a dummy fuel tank and hangers to use on the other side so it will match the right side. I hope to find a A3 tank...

Rodman
Sounds like a perfect scheme for the doors. I mounted a toolbox from a 5 ton on the drivers side to mimic the fuel tank on the passenger side; don't know what I'd do without it.

ApopkaFL

Banned
You are doing a remarkable job and I admire the creativity and craftsmanship that you and others share on this forum. Thanks for that!

And this comes from a guy who doesn' t really like to see these trucks chopped, bobbed and otherwise mutilated. For every dozen or so mutilations there seems to be the one really cool, innovative build where one can concede that the truck could have come from the factory like that.....and maybe should have!
Thanks, Its getting closer everyday. This has been a one man show; so its taking me a little longer then expected but I will get there.

Rodman

ApopkaFL

Banned
Quick question, I have a thought, I wanted to make a rear door in the CREW CAB that leads out to the truck bed. Do you think this would look dumb? Other words it will have a single maybe 36" door that can open and shut so I can get to the bed of the truck inside the cab. Any thoughts on this?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question, I have a thought, I wanted to make a rear door in the CREW CAB that leads out to the truck bed. Do you think this would look dumb? Other words it will have a single maybe 36" door that can open and shut so I can get to the bed of the truck inside the cab. Any thoughts on this?
Toyota makes an electric back windshield where the entire back windshield rolls down. That would give you a lot of room to roll into the back over a bench seat and or front bed lip. They had this in their older full size trucks, if interested there may be one in a junk yard you could salvage.

As for a door, I usually store things in my bed up against the cab. You would not be able to do that if you wanted to use a full length door. I guess it depends on what your needs and uses are for your truck.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Today was a bit of fun. I got the rear axle lift installed. I went to install the Axle and found out that the U Bolt plates I have is wrong. I need a set of fronts. I am not going to let this set me back. I will start on the Top until I get them. There is plenty of other stuff for me to do.

Rodman

Attachments

ApopkaFL

Banned
I installed the rear axle today. I have question! How much plating should I use on the frame on frame? I left the one plate there when I removed the axles. I was wondering if they may be enough plating or should I add more to the two frames? I will post some photos, how I made the lift. I boxed it in and added cross support.

I bolted both frames together with Grade 8 Bolts . I put 8 blots on each side on the frame rail.

I installed the 53" XZL today all the way around. In the second Photo is a friend of mine he is 5"8

Rodman

Attachments

Last edited:

ApopkaFL

Banned
that is EXACTLY what i want with my next project. but i want it to be suv style no bed.

amazing work!

Thank you, Its starting to come back together. I am the only one that has been working on it. If I need a hand my friend will help but Its mainly been a one man show. That is why Its taking me for ever to do the job. I would go slow do it right and have something nice when its done.

Rodman

P.S. Will start on the HARD TOP next week.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Hard Top

Started to work on the hard top today. I wish I could tell you that their is a magic way of doing this and its going to be easy. Well Its not, I got it from one of the members here it need some work. i think with plasma cutter and torch and some sheet metal I can do it.

Attachments

swampzr2

You sure have been making some good progress the last few days. I hope you are taller than your friend, or you will need to jump to get in that beast. That sure is tall!!