• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Front tire balance W/ Erik's lug nut fix

greg burns

Wheel Weights

One wheel on my A3 came without the counterweight. Does anyone know who sells them? Erik's website says they are out of stock. I've checked the websites for Saturn Surplus, Memphis Equipment, and TNJ Murray. None of them list them. I'm guessing the weights wouldn't be a regular item at a big truck tire shop. Erik's website lists the number as NSN 3040014070644. A google search of the NSN # didn't point to any retailers.

Thanks.

greg burns

Hooty481:
I was trying to avoid breaking the wheel down in order to balance it. Since the other five wheels have the counterweight, I was trying to be consistent. However, the weights seem to be in short supply.

Chain-Saw

Well,,, if you don't mind paying $22 each + $8 S/H, you can always buy off that evil California-based auction site... 11 in stock a minute ago (I'll just leave it at that).

greg burns

wheel weight plus extra lug nuts

Maccus:
I tried to balance a wheel that was missing the counter weight by just using 8 lug nuts. It involved doubling the nuts where the wheel weight should have been. Without the counterweight, it just doesn't seem to be enough. The auction site was the only place that seemed to have the counterweight. They must know that they can get away with charging a premium price. I thought about having the wheel balanced at the closest big truck tire store but it is $16 dollars worth of diesel to get there and back.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Greg:
I agree that without a issue wheel weight it would be very hard to balance the wheel. I did not think that was to much for the issue wheel weight however. As specialized parts are always more then off the shelf parts.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an old thread but I think its still worth mentioning that the Lug Nut Fix shown in post #14 WORKS!

I placed the lug nuts as shown two weeks ago and have not had that wobble ever since! Heck... my speedometer even stopped shaking! :jumpin:

Now I'm thinking I may take all my wheels in and have them balanced at a truck tire shop.

Nevertheless... This is certainly worth doing for a fast, easy and effective fix!

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought I had, if you have your 14.5x20 tires balanced make sure the tire shop that is doing the work knows that they are only rated for 56 mph.

Tommy Frantz

I looked on my 923a2 and my 925a2 and they only have a weight on the front wheels, opposite the ctis valve. Why are they only on the front and not on the backs? Also, does a truck tire shop balance them on the truck, or do they take them off to balance them?

Thanks!
Tommy

guns1977

What about if I take the ctis off the wheel, how much counter weight should I need? Nuts, big weight? I know with no counter weight and 1 extra lug it aint balanced

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked on my 923a2 and my 925a2 and they only have a weight on the front wheels, opposite the ctis valve. Why are they only on the front and not on the backs? Also, does a truck tire shop balance them on the truck, or do they take them off to balance them?

Thanks!
Tommy
I can't speak for the 5 Tons (I think that's what 923s and 925s are), but it seems that some M35A3s did not have the weights on the rears either, while others (like mine) have them on all wheels. Maybe some motor pool guys simply did not replace them when changing tires?

I think most truck stops balance them off of the truck. I think they only need to be "static balanced". I don't know this for certain.

You can also build yourself an inexpensive static wheel balancer using the concept described in a thread on this site. Search for "wheel balancing" (or something similar).

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about if I take the ctis off the wheel, how much counter weight should I need? Nuts, big weight? I know with no counter weight and 1 extra lug it aint balanced
Best way to answer your question is to build an inexpensive static wheel balancer (as described in another thread on this site). Also, it looks like steve6x6x6 built himself one as the wheel and tire assembly is not mounted to a truck as seen in picture 2 of post 35 of this thread.

Basically, what you do is to mount the wheel assembly on the balancer and give it several spins. After each spin, mark the bottom with chalk or crayon when it stops. If it stops with the same mark(s) at the bottom, then you have found the heavy side. Add some weight opposite the chalk mark and repeat. If the weight you have just added now repeatedly stops at the bottom you have added too much. Try less weight. When you have properly balanced the wheel assembly, you will be able to spin it several times and it will never stop with the same spot at the bottom.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically, what you do is to mount the wheel assembly on the balancer and give it several spins.......
An unbalanced wheel/tire acts like a pendulum and if your home-made "balancer"-hub runs on ball bearings (like this one...) you will quickly find the "heavy" spot and be able to detect and compensate an unbalance of as little as 1 ounce, @ 10 inches from center.
No need to spin the tire, except checking for flat spots and run-out.

G.

Tommy Frantz

I want to build a home-made balancer, but I need to borrow a spare 5 ton 10-bolt hub to make my rig. I'm looking for a hub locally; will a hub off a standard highway truck work? If so, I could grab one at the local truck salvage yard...

Tommy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks