• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 in my area, go for it or stick with an A2

dittle

Biggest thing that goes wrong with the CTIS is the O-rings in the hub will dry crack and leak. I believe there are 4 per hub and if any of them go bad your tires will deflate when the truck isn't running.

pwrwagonfire

We have one at work. Id personaly stay AWAY from the A3...sure it DOES have power steering, and in our off-road tests it does great

BUT if your gonna use it on road, I personaly find the 3 speed tranny unbearable. Our current tanker is a deuce (with a 5 speed manual obviosuly) and you can cruise much better in that thing.

If it were 5 speed Im sure Id like the A3 alot more but.....so far (unloaded, on highway) anything speed wise over 45 (Obviously too much over this would be unwise anyhow, but in our M35 I can do a comfortable 50 mph without any handling or braking problems) is a HUGE chore to drive....Id hate to think of what itd be like with 1000 gallons of water. We are still attempting to figuire out the tires after much work on disconnecting the inflation system- the thing still leaks air out of the front tires even after a can of tire sealer on the inside.

One other gripe....the windshield wipers are one speed. I personaly prefer the option of slowing them down or speeding them up on the M35 where they are air powered.

Just my two cents anyhow

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, the transmission is a 4-speed, not a 3-speed. If your truck only has three speeds, that could explain why you find it unbearable on the road. Second, the electric wipers have two speeds...low and high. I have dealt with the air wipers on the A2s for many years and find them to be adequate at best. At worst, they are terrible. The A3s actually have real wiper blades like those on the M939 series and HMMWVs.

tamangel

is there a list somewhere that lists the additions/improvements/parts/whatever that went into the deuces that were rebuilt to the latest spec's. Are those the late model USAF types or ? After what year would a deuce be considered to be rebuilt to the 'newer specifications'?

Mike

edit..I'm talking about a rebuild still classified as a A2, not a rebuild upgraded to an A3 model..

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I honestly took no offense to any comments. I was just trying to provide info about the truck. No worries.

This is turning out to be a good thread! Good info and a spirited debate! After we get by all the politics on GL auction postings (it always seems like a moving target) you guys get to some well lived opinions:-D It might be just me but it has always amazed me how a organization, such as Gl, is so protected from any grey area discusions on sales or other info on one hand will its business practice screwings have been the vast majority of complaints on this site. Something of a double standard, or at least a topic for more spirited debate. Oh one more thing I don't need any postings on this site to inform me on what is or is not up for auction on GL. Just my 2 cents!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks