• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 pickup checklist? (from Ft Gordon, GA)

usmctopgun

A3 pickup checklist? (from Ft Gordon, GA) **She's home! Added a couple pics**

Picking up an A3 I won on GL when my EUC clears, and was wondering what was recommended to check, and recommended tools to take w/ me just in case. Auction said it was running, all tires are inflated (spare included). It'll be about a 2 hour drive back home w/ it.

Oh, and if anyone local is familiar w/ these things and wants to ride along on pickup day, let me know. Food/beer is on me! [thumbzup] Gonna be driving it back to Cochran, GA.

*I'm sure there is a checklist listed somewhere, but I'm obviously pretty new here and I was unable to find it via the search function.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make certain that you turn off the CTIS system, even if it appears to be working. Check the pressure manually. The truck will drive better with 50 psi pressure in the tires. Check the pressure again after about an hour of driving. Take a standard set of tools with you. Make sure you have a jack and lugwrench that will fit the lug nuts. I would also take a chock with you since the parking brake may not work. There is no park on the transmission.

Before starting out, check the brake fluid and it would be good to take some extra DOT 5 fluid. Do not use DOT 3, 4 or 5A. Look at all of the tires and wheels for leaking brake fluid and any other leaks under the truck. Check the engine oil, coolant and transmission fluid. The transmission will have motor oil in it. I recommend changing out to Dexron III after recovery. Look in the fuel tank and confirm the fuel is of good quality. Some Deuces have been sitting for years and the fuel has degraded significantly. You only have a two hour drive and it will likely go well. Good luck and have fun with your truck.

Last edited:

lonegunman

Plan on 48mph, not 55 or more and you will be ok. I picked up a "running" A3 from Ft. Gillam last year and have enjoyed it ever since. My truck had been prepped for Iraq and then disposed of. It had two brand spanking new steer tires, a new passenger seat and had been given a decent once over.

The CTIS system is always suspect, mine failed a few days after I bought it and has been off ever since. If it balks it wil flatten tires as fast as it fills them.

A standard set of tools, air hose, rags and a couple of quarts of oil(just in case). Check the lights and plan on dry rotted wipers, NAPA has truck wipers that work. A can of PB Blaster is handy as well.

Enjoy your truck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get insurance. No tags=ticket in many states. No insurance=court appearance in many states. Good luck.

AceHigh

Knife or razor blade. Two of us have had the deteriorating foam in the top get so bad that driving was dangerous. Had to rip the inner liner and foam out at a rest stop.

Good luck on the trip!

mktopside

Banned
Knife or razor blade. Two of us have had the deteriorating foam in the top get so bad that driving was dangerous. Had to rip the inner liner and foam out at a rest stop.

Good luck on the trip!
+1000000

This is no joke, that foam turns into this coal dust like powder that will ruin your day. The alternative is to bring an N95 mask and a pair of swim goggles. If it gets in your eyes you'll have to pull over, it's pretty terrible stuff.

Here is one: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...litmate-deuce-recovery-list-instructions.html
There are a grazillion other simular threads, many are not A3 specific, but they will get you going in the right direction. It is easier to learn from the mistakes of others, and cheaper.
Type in "deuce recovery" or "recovery list" into the search function, you should end up with some good reading and great advice.

Docuscg

M35A3 drive out

After picking up my A3 this past April out of Hodges ,SC., I put a good amount of fuel cleaner in the tank before we pulled out. Aired up tires and checked all fluids. Then drove around a bit to loosen up the truck. Make sure you brakes work good and stops straight. Then I drove about 300 miles to get home at around 43-45 mph. After we made it home , the next day I went out to check the fluids again and just had to top off the water in the rad. I did not add any before we left. Then I check for water in the air tanks ---none, check for water in the fuel water separator which had none. So I crank it up to listen to the engine run and it purred like a big CAT should. Only had one problem ---- My back was killing me!! I am going to replace that seat with a good semi seat, and I am also going to build a fiberglass mold for a new hood. The hoods are some kind of ugly. However I got 10 miles to the gallon! I love my A3, Good luck with yours!

3dAngus

Make certain that you turn off the CTIS system, even if it appears to be working. Check the pressure manually. .
GL, I'm glad you mentioned that cause I have a question about it and it has bothered me for months, but never got up the gumption to ask. So here goes;

If you shut off the CTIS system, and the valves have the notorious leaks everyone speaks about, what will happen when you're going down the road.

a. All the air leaks out and you have a bunch of flats.
b. The CTIS has a partial shutdown condition and will fill up the tires anyway.
c. The air in the tires don't leak if the CTIS is shut down.
d. Other

I've got the fever and this warm weather isn't helping any. Problem is, I need just a little more money, and then I don't know what I am going to do with it once I have it. I don't want to park it in the yard as I have a small lake lot.

Gildner Radner on Saturday Night Live, back in the 70's used to say it best;

"IT'S ALLLLLLWAYS SOMETHING!"
:smile:

Docuscg

A3 Drive out

All I can tell you is what I read in the book which says to drive the truck about two miles first before you turn on the CTIS. Then make sure you turn it off before you shut down the engine or the air might leak out of the system. It can also leak from the wheel valves. You might also make sure you have all of your air stem caps on each tire. Many if not all of the A3's seem to have air leaks. Not something to worry about. I little time and work can fix it.

Docuscg

A3 drive out

I had two tires soft when I pick up my A3, I aired them up and drove 300 miles. It has taken at least two weeks to show signs of leaking. Might be in my wheel valves which I will check soon. I had turned off the CTIS for the drive.

usmctopgun

Gentlemen, MANY THANKS for all the advice!

It doesn't have troop seats or bows/canvas, so if anyone has any leads on where I can pick up those items, please send me an email. Thanks again!

HAHA, just saw where it says "Private" to the left. As a retired Gunny I haven't been called that in years, LOL

Last edited:

yamabro

Just get that A3 home safe and I bet you'll have no problem getting all kinds of goodies for that truck.
Good luck. and have a safe trip

Docuscg

A3 Drive out

I bought my A3 from GL. Looking at there pics for a while I notice a pattern. I found that if you find a staging area that has a number of almost new looking trucks mixed in with good to OK trucks, your chance of getting a nice truck for a good price is better. They sell the best first mixed with good ones to move more then keep some OK ones to sell with the others left to help get buyers to buy. I bought a nice bolster trailer that was rebuilt in 09 the same way. Good Luck !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks