• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 rims on an A2

rrrr

So I'm considering the change and am wondering if these rims offer any advantages/disadvantages over the HEMMIT rims that have been converted. I'm planning on flipping the rear hubs so all the rims can be the same.

What about a spare. Just have a tire and do a change on the truck or have a complete assembly ready to go. What's easier?

I've used the search and been through a lot of posts. I just couldn't find a direct comparison between the rim options as well as answers about spare tire options.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the M35A3 wheels you do not have to worry about if the guy made the centers right, or cut the 10 lug centers out true.
You also don't have to worry about them not being DOT legal.

With the A3's you can hang a spare where it was intended.

rrrr

With the M35A3 wheels you do not have to worry about if the guy made the centers right, or cut the 10 lug centers out true.

will the spare fit in its place with 395/85r20 ?

Do you need a complete spare since the rims are split capable while still on the truck ? Would just a spare tire be ok? Is it easier to change just the tire with the rim still on the truck or just do a regular change with a complete spare?

flyxpl

I am sure if a DOT inspector saw the way a 395"s bead fit on a A3 wheel it would not pass inspection . I think he would have less of a chance noticing that a hemmit rim has been modified .

rrrr

I am sure if a DOT inspector saw the way a 395"s bead fit on a A3 wheel it would not pass inspection . I think he would have less of a chance noticing that a hemmit rim has been modified .

Is there a better tire for the A3 rim that is dimensionally the same as the
395/85r20 ?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The A3 wheel's backspacing will cause the tire to hit the drag link of the steering. And as mentioned, the bead isn't fully seated.

mktopside

Banned
will the spare fit in its place with 395/85r20 ?

Do you need a complete spare since the rims are split capable while still on the truck ? Would just a spare tire be ok? Is it easier to change just the tire with the rim still on the truck or just do a regular change with a complete spare?
I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately you need heavy equipment to get an A3 tire on and off the rim.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That is incorrect.
According to everything I've read here a A3 + 395 tire will hit the drag link on a full right turn. Also I know for a fact the 395 bead doesn't fully seat on the A3 wheel. That's the other reason I'm going to recentered hemtts.

Maverick1701

I wish I could find a set of a3 wheels and tires....I might end up having to settle for 395s w/a different wheel option. Dang those a3 wheels look sexy though...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While they might rub on a turn, I do not know, but they do have a backspace on them and the 395s(on stock rims) I had didn't rub by much on the drag link. The other point is, the bead seats fully. The tire would not inflate if it did not. The Lip of the rim is an inch or so shorter than what is molded into the tire, but I have heard of none that have come off. I am not saying I would run an A3 rim with 395s, I just don't want wrong info posted.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe I should have phrased the bead thing a little better. They do seat and hold air. I don't see there being a problem with them. But the lip is shorter than the 395 tire it molded to. I don't see it ever coming off. Especially with the wheel design of the two piece wheels.

rrrr

From what it sounds like then, if your going to go with 395's the Hemmt rims sound like the better choice.

Now, will a hemmt rim with a 395 tire fit in the spare tire location ? Any modifications and what type if so ?

Last edited:

cxcman

Not trying to send people to one place or another but I have seen aftermarket rims ( not cheap ) but made to install on the truck with the tire no problems the ones I plan on useing are from Boyce equipment

Erik

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
From what it sounds like then, if your going to go with 395's the Hemmt rims sound like the better choice.

Now, will a hemmt rim with a 395 tire fit in the spare tire location ? Any modifications if so ?
Yes to the first statement. No to the second. Unless you somehow made a LWB bobbed truck. The 395's are 47" tall. Just not enough real estate there on the frame.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
a 395 sized tire will fit in the spare spot, but it takes modification. Search for a thread by tmamerica. My solution was to use an A3 rim with a 14.50 as my spare. If I need to use that spare, I will use a front axle spline cap in place of the drive axle.