• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Wheel Bearings

MATT

So, I removed all the tire inflation stuff off one of our M35A3's, including chipping away the JB weld on the spindle. I changed the inner and outer wheel bearings back to the older A2 style and used the A2 inner hub seals, just like a stock M35A2.

My question: What is better/more reliable, the new A3 o-ring seal/bearing or the older A2 bearing/hub seal?

I would like to use the A3 inner bearing/o-ring seal and use the A2 outer bearing to reduce cost, we are building 10 A3's into fire trucks..... What do you think?

I have never been impressed with the A2 inner hub seals, the o-ring seems like it may seal better.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I removed all the tire inflation stuff off one of our M35A3's, including chipping away the JB weld on the spindle. I changed the inner and outer wheel bearings back to the older A2 style and used the A2 inner hub seals, just like a stock M35A2..
So you changed out the spindles? When I changed mine back found the spindle on the A3 had the lip that held the seal was machined off. I also switched hubs and knuckles.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is two pics of my A3 spindle without a lip and one from a A2 with lip.
Wonder why there is a differance? They have to rework the spindle to allow the air to enter.

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
James,

That A3 spindle bearing race surface looks terrible!

Exactly where is the spindle machined? I cannot see a difference, maybe due to the photo angle.

Rick

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is why I changed it. She went swimming and I let it sit for just a LITTLE to long. Good thing it was just my time involved as I had the spare parts.

altoids

Matt, do you know where to get inner bearings at a good price?

James, I was looking at my front spindle & it looks like all they did was TIG a plate of some sort around spindle to allow air to pass through. If so couldn't I just carefully plasma or grind off the plate to reveal old mounting surface? It's gotta still be there or it wouldn't be air tight.

the buddah

well my question is this the a3 bearings i did away with the ctis on the front hub will the a2 bearings work in the a3 hub i should be able to use a dif inner and outer bearing but you can get inner bearings from miller bearing 350. each and will take 6 months for timken to make they can get the outers now aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks