• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A427A Load Bank troubleshooting help needed

shanekarl

I have an a427a load bank im having issues with an hope someone can give me some pointers of what to check next to get it running again.

First the load bank was connected to an mep-005a which has been converted to single phase and the load bank was configured for single phase per the TM. I have attached a photo of the wiring of connectors below as its likely less confusing than what I am going to try and describe. To configure for 1 phase per the TM I put the shorting plate across L1, L2 and L3, connected 1 hot from my generator to the shorting plate and the other to l0. Ground was connected to same ground rod as the generator. I moved the wiring harness in the LB to the upper high voltage 1 phase 240 connection point and flipped the switch on the front to high voltage.

The load bank was working great pulling 24kw from the generator (3,9 and 12 kw switches powered on) when I turned the last 6kw switch on the generator dropped the load and since then I have not been able to get the load bank to come back on. When I power it up the center fan spins for a few seconds, stops and nothing else happens. While the center fan spins the LB is pulling about 2amps and when it stops its pulling .01 (same as being powered off) and may just be a fluke of my meeter.

The TM says if the LB wont power on to check and replace the fuses. My LB was made in 2015 and does not have glass fuses but rater mechanical fuses that can be reset. I have manually pulled them out and put them back with no result.

Again here are two videos which might be less confusing than my words. I dont see any shorted or burned components so im at a loss of what to check next.

https://youtu.be/qOBJZRmam14

shanekarl

FYI - i sorted the issue today. I started taking the load bank apart and right before i pulled the fans i found the two that were not spinning up were touching the fan shroud. I slightly bent the shroud so it was not touching and after that the load bank powered up and I am back to testing my generator! Its great this old thing is smart enough to know the fan had resistance and shut down to protect the fan. love it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks