• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

aanother 5ton sprag issue

blackrock

Ok guys I did alot of reading on this but am still stumped. I have no power to the front driveshaft. So I started the truck built air pressure, shut the truck off so I could hear the air when shifting gears.. So I shifted it from rev to first and nothing. No air noise at all. So I loosened the main supply air line to make sure air was getting to the actuators and it is. So I took them off cleaned them and reassembled them. Still not working. Whats next? Thanks kyle

area52

how did you determine that you have no power to the front axle? you know that the rears have to spin before it sends power to the front right?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the whole truck on jack stands, then put it in gear, and see if the front starts turning.

blackrock

Lota of threads on this subject:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/58269-m813-sprag-front-axle.html?highlight=front+axle

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/46325-front-axle-not-engaging.html

I've read that the sprag actuator linkage can get stiff from non use. and flushing
the transfer case can help free it up.
that search thingy works pretty good

best of luck!

If i have this correct, If im not getting air when i shift from N-1ft -rev then it has nothing to do with flushing the transfer case. but has something to do with the actuator on the tranny. I have taken it apart and cleaned everything and reassembled and it still does allow air when shifting. Few questions:

How many shims should be between the tranny and actuators?

when i try depressing the actuator by hand the air flows out of the open breather but doesn't stop.

what next?

thanks kyle

m139h2otruck

Try disconnecting the supply hose to the two air shift valves and using some air tool oil (Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Air Tool Oil) flood the valves. Re hook the hose and try a few times. How long has the truck been out of action? May just be gunk in there.

Does it make any air noise from N to R or R to N now that you have taken the valves apart? May want to recheck valves.