• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abandoned deuces in Baltimore

JingoJohn

Hmm, I assume ALL here (especially me) are a bit “touched in the head” by virtue of :
Owning MV’s and being HERE. One must admit, it takes a certain “unusual” mind set to seek out these beasts and attempt training them to domestic life. That said, Is this on the level? Or is the ranting of an unfortunate who has given over the last full measure of sanity to MV fever?

It sounds like the ’60’s urban legend of: ‘…Some guy died in a brand new Corvett/T-bird/Porche/Ferrari (adapt the legend to your brand preference) and was not found for ‘x’ weeks. His family will give the car to anybody who can stand the smell or deodorize the car….

IF THIS IS ON THE LEVEL, I have land in Montana where I would allow any SS guy to store ONE of the 6x6’s for UP TO 6 mo FREE. At the stroke of the 180[SUP]th[/SUP] day; it **** WELL BETTER BE GONE! I think I am being generous to offer FREE storage for UP TO 180 days. I would like to have the other 6x6 and we could work together to move them to Montana.

I would like to have the Jeep.

The city, by NOT auctioning these vehicles, demonstrates why most, if not all, communist controlled cities are BROKE, or going broke.

EWhytsell

Nice find, shouldn't this be in the "pay it forward" section. lol

I'm not into doing crazy stuff like this in the winter anymore or I'd be all over it.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got an email back from Mr. Blonder. He said that the city isn't going to do any paperwork for ownership. It looks like the only legal way to do this is to have them removed by a city licensed tower who will then take over the storage; an attempt at ownership will then have to be made, followed by a forfeit procedure after 60 days (if I remember correctly). The tow company would then become the owner, who could title them, scrap them, or sell them in order to recoup the cost of towing/storage. I'm pretty sure which one it will be. All the above is based on what we have to do for abandoned vehicles on State property. It's turning out to be more trouble than I'm willing to deal with. That being said, I'll still probably ride over there and take a look this weekend. I just can't help myself.

Heath_h49008

Anyone know a towing company capable of handling the paperwork?

Were these private vehicles, or loaned to the city through some program? If on loan, would a run of these numbers show they are owed back to Uncle Sugar and some city worker is unaware of how to handle the return, or unwilling to pay to have them hauled back to whatever collection point?

I wholeheartedly support a raffle for wounded warrior or even St Judes... it doesn't matter. But some very basic questions need to be answered.

Sephirothq

They should be put on GSA auctions for sale by the city. That is the legal way for them to clean up the property. Then you could get a title for the trucks as well. Any thing else is going to be a degree of illegal. Not worth it for 2 old stripped trucks.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I was told, the city has no record of the vehicles, and has never had ownership. It could have been a simple deal where a city employee from 40 years ago had access to the lot, and someone was looking for a place to park the vehicles. Over the years people have retired, quit, died, etc., and records (if there ever were any) have been lost, thrown away, misplaced, etc. and now there's no record. They could have just as well have been stolen from the military and ditched there for the last 30-40 years and they could come up as being wanted. I was going to try to get down there this weekend; but if there's a foot of snow covering the lot, I may not be able to get in there to look at any numbers. Knowing the city of Baltimore and the People's Republic of Maryland as well as I do, they just want them to disappear and could care less what happens. Unfortunately, the laws aren't that simple. It's a very thin, yet very distinct, line between good intentioned rescuer of military history and felonious thief. One of which I have no desire to be.

poppop

I own 2 Dueces that I bought from a tow company. City told owner to remove trucks and he did not so City had them towed. Tow truck owner was a friend of a friend so I heard about them. He was going to sell for scrap to recover costs so I got them for $1000.00 each. He gave me a bill of sale but it said parts only so I don't know if I could get tags for them or not.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
getting a title is no problem at all. just takes some time and a few $$. i will remove and store them or whatever, i am very close and have space, 28 acres of it.
tom

JingoJohn

The city won’t do ANY paper work to get rid of the three vehicles? (Wait ‘till I talk to them!)

Without doubt, if I had “found” the vehicles, I would have approached the city to acquire ownership without announcing it here on SS. As a dyed in the wool capitalist, I see some serious bucks in the three vehicles and would have made a NICE personal profit on their sale. I did NOT find the vehicles, have no right to them, and probably no legitimacy or credibility here to influence their disposition.

However, the above not withstanding, the “discovery” was announced here. After the public announcement it is a “loose ball” for anybody to jump on. The word “fair” has been corrupted by commies in our government but the word FAIR can be applied in this situation. If the “discoverer” wants to pursue the acquisition it would be “fair” for him to do so. If he can’t, or does not want to, attempt the acquisition, it would certainly be “fair” for anyone or group to pursue acquisition.

With the caveats of the above in mind it would certainly be “fair” to attempt acquisition as a group of interested citizens’ intent on the AUCTION or RAFFEL (Legal HEADACHS with a raffle) for the purposes of a significant donation to a known, respected and VERY worthwhile charity. This is more, or less, a “wind fall” opportunity for ALL OF US to make a nice contribution to WOUNDED WARRIORS, a befitting charity given the orientation of this site and its members/users.

Can agree that is what we should do?

Very bluntly, I look to the admin guys, Patracy, et al to take some leadership on this and investigate whether or not we, as a group, could acquire the property AND make a donation in the name of the USERS (owners and administrators) of STEEL SOLDIERS.

Questions among the scores which will NEED to have answers are these:
In what name would the property be acquired? Would the site Steel Soldiers lend their name to the acquisition? Who would manage the auction? Should a professional auctioneer be engaged? How would we ensure that proceeds (Less legitimate costs.) would be donated as contemplated?

Considering the auctioneer and disposition question; Richie Brothers is the largest equipment auctioneer in the world. They could publicize the auction world wide! IF (BIG IF) we selected them and stipulated that proceeds were to go to WOUNDED WARRIOR, that would be a near perfect lock on two important questions. Further, I would certainly approach Richie Brothers with the idea of donating their “buyers premium” to Wounded Warrior.

In the past, I have been very successful in my dealings with governments and their employees. I would certainly DONATE my time and skill to attempt the acquisition. In addition, if closer storage (28acers, Eldersburg, Md) can’t be worked out I would store them gratis indefinitely UNTIL THEY CAN BE AUCTIONED or RAFFELED. (Upon further reflection, I think ‘auction’ is the way to go.)

I’ve stuck my neck out with my thoughts….let’s hear yours!