• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

? about adding lights m1009

joeypushjr1

im looking into adding some lights to my m1009 and i havent looked into if i have to get something special to do it or is there a way to hook them up 12 voltanyone no

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can add 12V lights but you must connect to the front battery. Use a relay and a fuse or breaker.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A standard automotive relay, 20 or 30 amp. Any auto parts store or Radio Shack will, or should, have it. The two 12v batteries in a CUCV are connected in series. If you connect to the front positive & front negative terminals you'll get 12 volts. If you connect to the front negative and the rear positive you'll get 24 volts.

ida34

The positive of the front battery connects to the negative on the rear battery. In essence, the battery connection is made through the wire connecting the front battery to the rear. This is also where the truck taps the 12 volt feed off. The wire for 12 volt for the cucv does not attach to the connector on the front battery. It attaches to the negative connection at the rear battery.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
For lights, I just get military 24volt lights and use them. That way I can tap the radio power point on the passenger side rear seat area for interior lights/stuff and tap the similar power point under the hood on the passenger side. Need use and in line fuse and run a switch unless your item has a switch on it already.

I have infra red headlights on my grill and a cockpit light hooked to the interior. I plan to have a bunch more soon. Plan on a cockpit light in the front, rear seat (alreadyu there), and a armor dome light in the rear. Gonna add clear lens fog lights in addition to the IR lights to the front. I may add a backup/work light or two to the rear but really don;t want to put them up top.

The only 12 volt change I did was a cigarette lighter. I don't like messing with the wiring system in a CUCV. Old addage if it ain't broke don't screw with it applies here.

K45

Not to highjack but I was wondering how hard would it be to turn one the radio power points into a 12 volt supply?

I understand this guys delima and 12v lights arealot easier and cheaper to find.

bht50

I hooked mine up using the negative to negative from the bateries to get 12v and it works fine. I just bought some 50 dollar off road lights 12v and put them on the brush gaurd. They came with the relays and fuses in the kit. I attached the pics. of the lights, inside swith with relay and the batieries where they are hooked into. you can see in the inside pic. I also put a 12v power source also from advance auto just plugged it into the fuse box there were several open points for ignition on power. I mounted it next to the switch for the lights.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

12v lead on fire wall to after market fuse box to relay and switch or key on oower source to lighrs. Ill post pics of my set up.
This sounds like the way to do it. That's what I am planning on. Ring terminal on the stud next to the brake master cylinder supplies 12v to the supplied relays and fuses with the lights and the supplied switch in the cab. No need to get too fancy with this as there's TONS of aftermarket light kits that have everything you need. No reason to even touch the 24v system or even the batteries. Hardest part would be mounting the switch and running the wires up out of the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks