• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About to get my 1st Deuce, few ?'s

SouthTexasDiesel

Finally found the truck I've been looking for. AM General M35A2 with the whistler turbo, winch, and NO rust. Overhauled in 1992 and now only has 2200 miles on the odometer.

I've got a few questions.

*Any tips for hauling it back, other than low overpasses? I'll be pulling a 40' Gooseneck with an 08' Ford dually. Looking at a 1500 mile round trip.

*I want to be able to run WMO in the motor, but there's a sticker on the fuel filter that says" Attention Use Diesel Fuel Only, Fuel injection compensator has been by-passed to prevent fuel dilution in engine oil." How do I hook that sucker back up so I can save some $$ on diesel?

This is my first military vehicle, so I can't wait to get her down here and get to work.

Jakob

RE: About to get my 1st Deuce, few ?

Is the gooseneck a low-boy type trailer or is it a deck-over?

Sounds like your FCD has been bypassed because it's faulty. You'll more than likely have to replace it and then reconnect it into the system. How to do that, I can't tell you as mine is still working fine. Someone else can chime in more on that subject though.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's a big haul for a pickup, especially for that distance. I know Folks do it all the time, but I just think its too much for a pickup. I would think about driving it back - It would be a lot more fun, probably cheaper. If worse comes to worse, and you don't make it, you have the original plan for a backup. Spend a day tuning it up - check everything! Take some extra fuel filters.... You'll make it home! That Deuce was made to drive.

Lee in Alaska

ucfjeeper

depends on the trailer like Jakob said

dual tandem deck over / dual tandem low boy

I'd have no reserve pulling it either way but would be more careful with a deck over. Then again - I've seen people pull a whole lot bigger things with SRW super duty's on goosenecks.

TommyG45

sak00 said:
The FDC does not have to be hooked up to burn WMO. Just filter it real good and mix it with diesel.
:ditto:

My FDC is bypassed and I have been running wmo from the start. roughly 80% wmo to 20% unleaded.

Welcome and enjoy your new truck, make sure to get some pics posted for us.

TommyG45

Seeing is I am killing time at the airport waiting to fly to hotlanta... Drive a smaller car to get your deuce, and load it in the back of the deuce and drive em both home...

SouthTexasDiesel

Good to know I don't have to hook up the compensator to run WMO.

My trailer is a 40' Dual Tandem deckover with torque tube, and I specifically ordered my truck as a tow vehicle w/30k hitch and all EPA emissions removed. Neither will be over their legal weight limits. The only main concern is the height of the load and tendency to be top heavy, which I have taken into consideration and have decided to leave tomorrow morning instead of later in the week because of the good weather conditions, dry and little wind.

Jakob

IMO the Deuce is already a little top-heavy (compared to regular pickups). Pay very close attention to your height, make sure your legal, and be very careful with all that weight up that high. Make sure the trailer brakes are working, and working properly. Allow yourself a lot more room to stop than you think you'll need. You probably already know most of this considering your rig and trailer, but better safe than sorry.
Where are you picking it up at? Get in touch with some members along the way just in case you need some help. Like suggested, drive it home if possible. It'll be easier on the PSD and MUCH more fun. Regardless, good luck and be careful.

SouthTexasDiesel

Picked her up yesterday. Got stuck in Fort Worth for the night because of traffic, didn't feel like towing it in the dark. So far so good. The truck is in amazing shape and runs like a champ. Once I get back down south I'll put some pictures up.

bottleworks

SouthTexasDiesel said:
Good to know I don't have to hook up the compensator to run WMO.
Just to add a bit to this... It's not just WMO that will burn fine with the FDC bypassed. It's all approved fuels and many that are not approved. The FDC does not make it a multi fuel engine. There is no realistic need to have the FDC connected. The later model pumps didn't even have them. Search the forum for additional info. Change that truck to a Dodge with an ISB Cummins and you will be fine!

SouthTexasDiesel

taylordc15 said:
I try to stop in at Falfurrias/Brooks County airport for lunch about once a week.
I'm in Kingsville 5 days a week for classes and work. How do you have your truck registered? I'm thinking I'm just gonna go for farm truck or antique plates.

Also who are you using for insurance.?

SouthTexasDiesel

The only markings I have on my truck is "Military Police" on the doors. Bumper markings have been removed. I think I'll just get the antique plates, $50 for 5 years isn't bad at all.

Here are some pictures of me hauling it back from Oklahoma.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks