• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About to pick up my MEP 003A

dependable

If it is even a little stuck, the bolt on the blower will sheer. Had to put a bar and pry between other nuts on face of blower wheel on 002 that had water in cylinder. It did free up & run.

dependable

I don't know, I would try it with the 5/8 socket, with the glow plugs removed makes it spin even easyer. It may spin just fine, they sometimes do. But if you get the sense you are leaning on the ratchet too much, try the bar before you sheer off the bolt. Have broken enough bolts to have a sense when to stop leaning on them.

storeman

helomedic1171
Now that I see what you were e-mailing me about, you may have a parts unit.

If trying to turn the engine, use a 5/8" DEEP socket so you don't pull it off when removing from the housing, otherwise you have to remove the shroud to retrieve it. Let me know.

Jerry

helomedic1171

UPDATE:

I picked it up today. It's decision time -

I took a look at it, and sure enough, the Voltage Reg is gone and so is the injector pump.

BUT...

It turns over by hand with a socket wrench on the blower wheel bolt on the crank. Also, I was able to get most of the parts I needed from a friend who parted one out. I would only need an injector pump and a fuel tank, and then I could start messing with this thing. I'm trying to source an injector pump that won't cost me more then the genset is worth, but failing that, I'll need to part it out. what does an injector pump go for?

What are your thoughts? no cut wires, no stuck parts, but I have not tested (nor do I know a way) to test the gen head without running the engine.

helomedic1171

Thanks!

BTW - My Uncle lives in Fort Valley, and I have an aunt in Warner Robins. small world.

Yeah, the guy that loaded for me in the trailer said the same thing - he figured that's why i bought it, and when i told him I planned to make it a runner, his eyes got really big and he said "Ok... good luck with that." :) he'd probably be speechless if he'd heard it run today.

LuckyDog

He probably doesn't know about SS.com.

And I wouldn't tell him either.

Good Job. This has been an incredible job on your part. Now don't go disappearing. You now have a lot of experience to pass on to the next sucker.... I mean, entruperner.:grd:

helomedic1171

LOL. very true, and my lips are sealed, until I meet someone else working on ex-military stuff.

And I'm not going anywhere - I have a no start condition now, and once i get that fixed and then genset is working right, I'm looking for a Deuce. I get quiet from time to time, but I'm here forever now. you guys are stuck with me!! HAHAHA!

1800 Diesel

I don't mind the mechanical stuff--most or all of it is straightforward, but when I see wiring harnesses cut in mid length, I would get a little nervous. My opinion would be to keep this one, sell a few parts off it and wait for another [near complete or complete] one to come along....my guess is there's a logical reason this one was cannibalized....

helomedic1171

the wiring harness hasn't been cut at all, and it ran beautifully for 30 minutes until I shut it down. if I can figure out if this is a fuel or a heat problem, I'll have a good runner already. though, if I can't, your idea is my next plan, though that's pretty far away now that I've heard it run.

helomedic1171

Back in business. got some injectors off a member who was parting out an -003, and she cranked right up. life's good - now to wire up the house to her. more pics to follow as I get her mounted up.

helomedic1171

I did not, but I imagine you could. I'm not sure how those load meters work, though - does it matter if the generators are different sizes? like, is that meter "tuned" to 10Kw? or does it measure the % load a different way?

LuckyDog

Frequency meters and Load meters are the same for both 002a and 003a generators.

Only difference is if the meters come off a MEP-112A (400Hz) machine.

Verified by looking in the parts manuals for each unit.

LuckyDog

It can be made to work.....BUT....

... My guess is it will not work.
MY guess is it would work :p

BUT

It might require a bit of work. (Sorry, I'm an engineer, I can't help myself from taking things and re-designing them to new functions) If I had one just lying around, I'd make it work. But for the price and effort, I wouldn't bother.

leedawg

Pretty sure the way these work is you need the appropriate transducer for the meters. I know the fq meters require a transducer to interpert the line voltage into a DC voltage which drives the actual needle on the meter. Mine died in my MEP 005. I am right now in the middle of working on making an atmel microcontroller drive the needle for me with PWM and its ADC converter that is built into the chip. All this just takes time hopefully will get it working over christmas.

The percent power meter or load meter requires a thermal watt converter as its called by the TM's basically looks at voltage and amperage and figure out how many watts of power are being driven through the system and puts out a DC voltage again to drive the needle. I am sure a microcontroller could handle this job as well, hardest part of using the micro at least for me is figuring out a good way to sample the information for the micro and feed it into the micro for analysis. The rest is all just software.

However for 50 bucks that panel looks awsome and lots of goodies you could use for other projects. If you went and bought all the stuff on that panel individually would cost you 100's of dollars id imagine. I put a new % power meter in my MEP 005 and it was 100 dollars for the meter alone.