• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About to start my first repaint..M1009 woodland to desert tan..have q's

ajsmith184

So, I am gathering materials and equipment to start repainting my M1009 in about a month. It's pretty much rust free, will be replacing rockers before I start though. Currently it's the typical woodland camo with green floor and interior. I am going to be using Sherwin-Williams 686 tan CARC, and while I am there I will also be covering the floor in bedliner, also removing the fiberglass top and installing a softtopper.

My biggest question I have is how to do some of the "detail" painting. By that, Im referring to door jambs, cab ceiling, a pillars, kick panels, etc. I will be using a gravity feed paint gun...Seems hard to get into everything without disassembly (dash, doors, etc)..Is that the only way, or is there a lazymans secret I dont know? I do want it to look good, but I dont want to be tearing this thing down completely, if somebody has a good way to avoid this..Help is appreciated..If that's the only way I might just go green and not mess with all that :roll:

Last edited:

rickf

Just make sure the paint can is more that half full and then you can tilt it back to get the high stuff. You still have to have some angle. OR you can get cup liners and then you can spray upside down although that was never natural for me. Guess I did it the normal way for too many years.

Rick

rickf

I just realized you were changing colors. That is tough to get everywhere. You rally need to totally strip the cab out to do it right. Especially the glass and window trims. When the military changed color it was only on the outside, they left the inside green. Personally I would leave the whole vehicle green. Just my preference though.

Rick

ajsmith184

Yeah Im starting to think that as well...As much as Id like it desert sand...if I didnt have to replace the rockers Id just spray the outside and leave the interior green...But once rockers are replaced, unless you repaint everything it seems it would be obvious there has been a repair...Decisions decisions :roll:

Barrman

Put a rubber glove over the lid of the paint gun cup. Hold a rag over the nozzle and pull the trigger. That will inflate the glove, mix the paint and give you a good indication of how much paint you have used as the glove deflates as you go. No paint will drip out either.

I painted a M1010 a year ago the tan color. I never want to see that color again. You can't see the "wet" paint of your last pass compared to the "dry" paint of the pass before. Very, very easy to make runs and not even know it. I had best results painting at night with several bright lights shining on the truck at angles so I could at least see a glare on the wetter stuff. Still, not as good as painting a real color.

As written above. The military just did the exterior. If you feel you must do the inside, just pull it apart as far as you can and get to it. Double any time estimate you might think up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks