• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ABS...... advantage... disadvantage in FMTV.... your educated info appreciated

coachgeo

Who has driven BOTH ABS and NON ABS brake versions of these trucks.... enough to speak up on the difference's in braking, steering while braking etc.

curious

Reworked LMTV

Who has driven BOTH ABS and NON ABS brake versions of these trucks.... enough to speak up on the difference's in braking, steering while braking etc.

curious
The ABS truck will not necessarily stop at a shorter distance, BUT it will stop straight typically. In fact, stopping distance may even be longer. All it does is pulse the brakes to stop a lock up at the wheel. Concur with comment about experienced vs inexperienced drivers.

There was a very interesting device that I saw recently for stopping faster. Picture an upside down hydraulic table. It would extend the table into the pavement in a panic stop with a very rough platform to get the vehicle to stop quicker.

We are going to put ours through its paces in snow with practice panic stops and will seek ice to practice on. We will repeat the test once our locker is installed. Lockers can change the rear end personality dramatically, per PLASA in Italy AND will vary between the 4X4's and 6x6's. We will do a chain up drill.

If you are going to run chains on an overlanding rig, you may want steel over the chains on the box.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a few times offroad in snowy/icy conditions in my A0 where ANY amount of braking resulted in locking the wheels.

In one instance, I was traveling at idle speed, on an icy trail with a slight side slope (a couple degrees, similar to an on-ramp embankment). When I hit the brakes even the smallest amount, it locked the wheels and began a slow sideways slide off the trail. This left my only option to not brake at all, and keep going at idle speed. The problem was that there was another vehicle in front of me that I kept getting closer and closer to, until I was within inches.

I'm not sure if ABS would have helped it, but without it the results were not good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks