• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ABS on a Bobbed 1986 M939 (Not Working)

HummerinTX

Hi guys, I just bought my truck about 2 months ago and it seems to be in decent shape. The guy I bought it from had it bobbed and it looks like whoever did it did an excellent job. My questions is this... With the truck bobbed will the ABS System still work as it should? The ABS light is on solid which I know means there is a problem. I know it is not working because when I picked it up and drove it back to Texas, the weather decided to give us snow and sleet all the way home. It gave me a few clincher moments when the rear wheels locked up on me going into a few turns. Anyways, I have inspected the air lines, sensor lines to each wheel etc and everything looks good. There is one red air line going to my rear right brake that is plugged and not attached. The harness is plugged into the ABS computer. But still no ABS. The brakes work perfectly but without ABS. Anyways, Please let me know. The truck is a 1986 M939 with Allison Tranny and NHC 250 Cummins Non Turbo. Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
check the fuse behind the abs light under the dash.
The truck will brake right without abs. It is there to prevent engine lock up and killing the engine and steering loss during hard braking

HummerinTX

I checked the fuse and it was good. Light is still on. Light went off when I took the fuse out. I guess I was wondering if the system would be sending a code because the truck has an axle removed. Maybe it could be trying to sense 2 wheels that are not there... Could that be a reason? Just wondering. I drove it home today in the rain and I was curious so I jammed on the brakes at about 20ish and the rear end did slide out a bit. I didn't notice any ABS action. The engine did not die tho. Maybe I wasn't going fast enough.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Being bobbed you are missing the secondary abs unit or the primary depending on which and if they kept one. So no the abs will not work

74M35A2

You may be able to make it work if you really want it. Depends on your interest level. If you just want the light out, then the easiest way is to just remove it then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks