• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abusing the Equipment

Towman2277

Stump, heh?? Good luck! Pine tree?? I can shove them over easily with my bridge truck in reverse!! The roller on the rear helps the descent!! hee...hee...hee..... Someone wanna' challenge that I can!? I'll upload a video this weekend!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can run small pines down but the bigger ones like this one won't budge. Show us the video.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The outriggers are labor intensive. I was just screwing around. I think if I had them down I may have overstressed the equipment and I'd cry if I broke it being stupid. When I was slinging Devilmans bed I used the outriggers, very nice feeling to have them in place. Did I mention I love this little crane?

Towman2277

I'm in the process of building me a crane that lifts with snatch blocks and winches....basically the same design as a strong arm with sheaves to lift with. It will also have a winch mounted directly to the end for lifting and recovery. We will see how this turns out!!

houdel

I used to pull out some pretty good sized trees with my civvie full size 4wd Blazer. I'd use a ladder to hook a chain as high up in the tree as I could get it, hook the other end of the chain to my receiver hitch. Then I'd dig down about 1' around the base of the tree and chop all the roots I exposed. Then I'd put the Blazer in 4WD-LO and creep ahead. The smaller trees (8"-10") would usually pop right out. If the tree wouldn't pop by the time the rear wheels on the blazer were about 2' off the ground, I'd back up, dig a little deeper, and chop a few more roots. I always got my tree! But stumps are a big PITA though. Then you need Ryan/Jon's "Stump Burning Compound". I tried pulling a few stumps with the Deuce here at the new household, the first one popped out pretty good, the second one ended up with some significant ruts in the lawn and a broken chain. Gave up after that!

houdel

'Course, back in my Army Combat Engineer days, our Company motto was "There are few problems which cannot be solved with a suitable application of High Explosives".