• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC belt squeal

PaulbusMax

I bought a Red Dot AC kit for my M1097, which is now installed complete and is working. Problem is the sanden compressor has a two v belt pulley and only one belt can be used due to the new 5 groove fan pulley having one groove for the AC. I tightened that belt up quite snugly, however it squeals significantly. Any ideas? I’m using the belt that came with the kit. It’s a notched type belt.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too had this same problem. Same belt setup. I was going to replace all the belts once the Florida Inferno dissipates. I am not sure how old the belts on the truck are, so I was going to replace them all just as general maintenance. Plus the hose for the fan clutch that looks old and has visible cracks.

As a temporary measure, I applied CRC Belt Conditioner to the AC belt and the squeal so far has gone away:

CRC Belt Conditioner

I am not sure how long it abate the squeal but it has lasted a month so far. I don't normal go for voodo stuff like this but it worked - at least so far.

I had hoped that I just had a worn AC belt, and replacing it with a fresh set of belts would permentantly eliminate the squeal but I guess it really needs two belts or be replaced with the serpintine setup?

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use some imagination you can move the alternator back one groove width, use three belts on the PS/ALT freeing up two grooves on the crank pulley.
The PS pump will tend to squeal a little if the steering is pressed against the stops.
This will also reduce the leverage of the PS/ALT belt against the water pump bearings.
6.jpg

Last edited:

PaulbusMax

If you use some imagination you can move the alternator back one groove width, use three belts on the PS/ALT freeing up two grooves on the crank pulley.
The PS pump will tend to squeal a little if the steering is pressed against the stops.
This will also reduce the leverage of the PS/ALT belt against the water pump bearings.
View attachment 901149
I’ll look at the setup again with this in mind. Thx

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks