• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC compressor bypass pulley

bobwire

Has anyone replaced their compressor with a bypass pulley? The bearing spun on the compressor which fried my serpentine belt.
I bought a Dorman AC bypass pulley kit (34207)but the bolt pattern and pulley doesn't line up on my HMMWV 6.5T GEP. I contacted Dorman and they said they done make one for this motor. Is this motor configuration the same as any civilian van or truck motor?
Im trying to figure out my options here, hopefully buying a new compressor is not my only one.
Can anyone point me in a direction? Thank you

BLK HMMWV

Check with 86 humv.
I at one time planned on adding an a/c compressor for on board air. I never installed it but from what I remember there were 2 different size serpentine belts for With or Without air.
Might be worth having stored on rig just in case for future.
Not sure that even came close to answering your question.

ryanruck

Funny this topic should come up...

My recently acquired 6.5T also came with an installed A/C compressor. I do want to eventually install A/C in my truck but, because of how much I drive my truck with the top off, it's literally at the bottom of my list.

Unlike bobwire my compressor is not seized so I've been going back and forth on whether i should just cap the refrigerant lines (one of them was shear cut so I'll have to replace them anyway) and leave the compressor to freewheel or, if I should do a full delete until I'm ready to do my A/C install.

Clearly doing the full delete means no wear and tear on the compressor but means spending money on on the new pulley setup. I'm also assuming that the non-A/C setup uses a different length belt? Any reason besides wear and tear I shouldn't leave the compressor in with the lines capped? I'm thinking based on my frequency of driving the wear would be negligible so I could just leave it in place capped until ready for use

Action

The delete pulley on the later turbos is the same size as the a/c pulley. It uses the same belt. You may get humidity in the compressor (even if capped). That may or may not corrode things.

ryanruck

The delete pulley on the later turbos is the same size as the a/c pulley. It uses the same belt. You may get humidity in the compressor (even if capped). That may or may not corrode things.
Very good point!

If I do keep it in the truck, it sounds like it might be a good idea to pick up a bottle of PAG 150 oil (since it looks to be a GM R4 compressor) and fill it up to drive out as much air and moisture as possible.

Action

Very good point!

If I do keep it in the truck, it sounds like it might be a good idea to pick up a bottle of PAG 150 oil (since it looks to be a GM R4 compressor) and fill it up to drive out as much air and moisture as possible.
. Npt if the oil sits pn top of the water.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ruh rho Shaggie. This thread is so old it’s a g-g-g-g-g-ghooooost.

Johnhatem, you should consider sending a PM directly to 86humv. Probably would be faster and more effective.

Good luck with your rig!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks