• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC Compressor Mounting Bracket Plans

Third From Texas

Rgr all.

Not looking to go into production, but I've enough engineering background to build something this simple to spec. The specs for every hole tapped into a C7 is pretty well documented online. With a compressor in hand to make the other end, it's easy to get the other end spec'ed. What goes between them becomes simply a matter of time to plan and make.

Funny that when someone here was selling only one of the two bracket set (and the correct bracket is in fact a two-bracket set) no body gave them this much static (the seller flat out and absolutely incorrectly stated that the second bracket wasn't even needed).

Look, at the title of the thread here.

If I were not looking to make the damned thing I would be in a seller's PMs asking to make a purchase. This thread really isn't that....

I appreciate where you're coming from and as I said, I fully support purchasing from vendors who make their own wares (I've purchased from you in the past). But there are some things I can and would rather do myself.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not looking to go into production, but I've enough engineering background to build something this simple to spec. The specs for every hole tapped into a C7 is pretty well documented online. With a compressor in hand to make the other end, it's simply a matter of time.
Realistically, no, it's not simple to build, even for a "simple A/C bracket". That's my point. The work that went into the design of the OEM bracket, with the specifications development, design meetings, stress simulation, vibration testing, prototyping, revisions, and then finally successful fielding of many tens-of-thousands of units is incredibly valuable.

If we don't have access to previous "proven" designs, then we have no choice but to improvise as best we can. When we can get our hands on the original bracket, I recommend holding the design in high regard and looking to replicate it as faithfully as possible.

Funny that when someone here was selling only one of the two bracket set (and the correct bracket is in fact a two-bracket set) no body gave them this much static (the seller flat out and absolutely incorrectly stated that the second bracket wasn't even needed).
If I had seen it, I definitely would have spoken out against it. It's incredibly naive to think the second bracket simply isn't needed.

As for the scalpers, I definitely don't support that. But I also think that a lot of frugal people around here are also very uninformed about what it takes to engineer quality things, and the cost it takes to produce them. These posts come up all the time.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's an old Czech addage that "I'm too poor to buy cheap tools", and the same often applies for repair parts. Having to deal with the fallout and downstream problems of shade-tree hackathon fixes is often worse than the original problem.
IDK if any of you have seen Sean Fillner's YouTube videos about attempting to install a RedDot hydraulic AC system. Fun stuff and I applaud his innovation and tenacious resolve to make it work.....

Spoiler - He eventually gave up and installed the proper brackets and a belt driven pump.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." -- Isaac Newton

If I can get the original engineered solution it's going to save me a lot of the same type of frustration that Sean encountered.

At the end of the day the question really becomes - how much is your time worth? That's ultimately what will dictate the choice.

Third From Texas

IDK if any of you have seen Sean Fillner's YouTube videos about attempting to install a RedDot hydraulic AC system. Fun stuff and I applaud his innovation and tenacious resolve to make it work.....

Spoiler - He eventually gave up and installed the proper brackets and a belt driven pump.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." -- Isaac Newton

If I can get the original engineered solution it's going to save me a lot of the same type of frustration that Sean encountered.

At the end of the day the question really becomes - how much is your time worth? That's ultimately what will dictate the choice.
Yes, I followed that mess as it unfolded. Sean was attempting to make something fit that wasn't ever designed to fit. His utter failure was multi-fold (unproven hydraulic compressor not ever before used on a CAT/LMTV using a retrofitted bracket, etc). Interesting in concept but had fail written all over it.

Realistically, no, it's not simple to build, even for a "simple A/C bracket". That's my point. The work that went into the design of the OEM bracket, with the specifications development, design meetings, stress simulation, vibration testing, prototyping, revisions, and then finally successful fielding of many tens-of-thousands of units is incredibly valuable.

If we don't have access to previous "proven" designs, then we have no choice but to improvise as best we can. When we can get our hands on the original bracket, I recommend holding the design in high regard and looking to replicate it as faithfully as possible.
I'm aware of all that. But I didn't say I was making a different design. The OEM is a fine product to copy (just as Tom had copies made to sell you). I still think you are overestimating the complexity here. One bracket is literally made of flat sections welded together. The second only has one angle bend that isn't a 90. Given that I'm familiar with the brackets set, have access to the exact locations/dimensions of the necessary holes used to mount the bracket to the engine, the exact locations/dimensions used to mount the compressor to the bracket, know how assure all stays to spec during welding, I'm willing to take a shot at it.

If I fail miserably you can all say "we told you so". But until then....I think we've all made our points. And others may have gained some insight into whey they shouldn't attempt this.

I will, though.

Thanks

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By all means copy the factory bracket. If you can get your hands on one to copy it would be even better but then of course why not just use it unless it's on loan.....

But I don't see a problem if you copy it faithfully.

I think we can all agree that the OP's design of hanging it off the timing gear case - while his execution was superb - is questionable in terms of engineering and I for one don't want to be part of the field test on that unit. A broken timing case after some ugly off-roading does not sound like any kind of fun I want to participate in.

Third From Texas

By all means copy the factory bracket. If you can get your hands on one to copy it would be even better but then of course why not just use it unless it's on loan.....

But I don't see a problem if you copy it faithfully.

I think we can all agree that the OP's design of hanging it off the timing gear case - while his execution was superb - is questionable in terms of engineering and I for one don't want to be part of the field test on that unit. A broken timing case after some ugly off-roading does not sound like any kind of fun I want to participate in.
I don't really need one in hand to copy if I have all the exact dimensions. ;)

Agreed. I won't say that ithew OP's design can't be made to work with further reinforcement, bracing, weight disbursement, etc. I mean anything can be made to work it's merely a matter of how well and how structurally integral it will be and how much damage it causes upon failure.

And I'm no fan of the passenger side solutions that others sell.. While they may work well for a civilian semi truck, hanging another 20 lbs off an already 50 lb 260a alt is not exactly a great design to take off road. It's a leverage thing. Heh

Interesting thread, though. I opened with a mere witty comment and it's become quite the collection of "you can't do that".

;)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting thread, though. I opened with a mere witty comment and it's become quite the collection of "you can't do that".
Not "you can't do that", rather "It's never safe to assume it's that simple." It may be that simple, or the first bracket they made might have failed testing and there is some easily-overlooked revision (e.g. a rounded corner fillet) in the final design that allowed it to survive.

I'm happy to learn from anyone willing to use their truck as a guinea pig, though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks