• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC for a M146

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Has anyone seen a M146 trailer field-modified to have AC? If there is no official way to do it, then I have seen some really small window units at the big-box stores that might fit one of the side windows.

I am thinking about a 146 for a SS HQ and RV for shows and rallies. I would like to run a small genset for the overhead lights and AC.

See pic for an example.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, have you ever considered the M313 semi trailer? Its the expandible with the enclosed sides. Most have or had an A/C in the nose and have that cool deck in the front to add your genset. They also have a fuel tank.
Heres a link to a website you can scroll down and see a couple of pics.
http://www.legervoertuigen.nl/trailers/trailers.htm
Don't know much about the site but in this pic you can see the M313 behind an M275A2. Just so happens to be my tractor when owned by Bruce Kubu and Bruce's 313.
http://www.legervoertuigen.nl/trailers/trailer_f.jpg
Matter of fact, Winslow has at least a few in his field.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the links Kenny. I have looked at the 313, but was considering the 146 because it is smaller and lighter. The 313 is around 16k empty and the 146 is 7k. The 313 is 320" long and the 146 is 270". I do like the deck on the front and the heat/AC housing. It would great to be able to crank the sides out and almost double the room.

If the price was right, I might go with the 313, but it is a bit of a hoss compared to the 146.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weight should be of little issue with that behemoth tractor you have. The 313 and it's A/C do have a drawback. The A/C requires 3 phase and it takes about 10KW to run the thing. Never seen the 146 retroed with A/C but I'm sure it could be done. One window unit prolly won't be enough for the whole trailer but could cool down a single room in the trailer. Another thought is the portable A/C units. The have wheels and you roll them wherever you need them. They have a duct you put in a window to exhaust the heat. We have one at work and it's 10,000 BTU.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Recovry4x4 said:
Weight should be of little issue with that behemoth tractor you have.
:) true...true, but it may make me go from 6 MPG to 5 MPG ;)

The 313 and it's A/C do have a drawback. The A/C requires 3 phase and it takes about 10KW to run the thing.
Ouch! I'll have more in the genset than the trailer :lol: I may have to pop down to Winslow's and scope one out in his field.

TacticalTruck

I would stay away from the expandable not only because of the weight but also they are steel as opposed to aluminum and the roofs rust and they leak. the other trailer to consider is an electronics van like the one i bring to aberdeen. they are aluminum and many have hvac. there are single phase air units out there tho i have not been able to find one since i decided i need one.
jeff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of which, ADR has an M373 electronics van with 4 front A/C units on it! For sale too! Hey Jeff, what was that trailer we were working on a deal with. It was a tandem axle M10?? I liked that one a bunch!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
TacticalTruck said:
I would stay away from the expandable not only because of the weight but also they are steel as opposed to aluminum and the roofs rust and they leak. the other trailer to consider is an electronics van like the one i bring to aberdeen. they are aluminum and many have hvac. there are single phase air units out there tho i have not been able to find one since i decided i need one.
jeff
Thanks Jeff. I really like the look of your electronics van. I wish I would have looked a little closer, but I didn't know I would be looking for one ;) The 146's are all aluminum aren't they?

I forgot about ADR's trailer. Did he have it for sale on eBay a while back?

TacticalTruck

Yea, the M146 is Aluminum.
Kenny, was that the air ride two axle electronics van? I can't remember the M#. I'll have to dig up pictures.
Jeff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it is for sure Chris. Jeff had one of them and I'm pretty sure it was that one. Eric aka Miltrucks had one too. Way cool trailers and I'm sorry for passing up on the one Jeff had. I got greedy and was trying to nickel and dime him to death and lost the deal. Now I can't even find the pics. Sorry Jeff!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks