• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC Installation. Charging capacity and oil capacity?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I'm *almost* ready to charge the system. The only remaining question/discussion I would like to have is regarding the system capacities.

The TM lists the capacity as approximately 4 lbs. I'm told by someone that has installed a number of these that it's 3.75 lbs. I can go off system pressures and get that sorted to what's optimal for my specific system - no real problem there. If anyone has any additional input it's always appreciated.

The big question for me is the oil capacity and if the Sanden compressor comes with sufficient oil already in it or if the gen 2 evap/cab or condenser unit comes with any, etc. My charge machine can add as much as I direct it to when charging the system but I don't really have any information on oil capacity or what is already in all the brand new components. TM does not address the issue at all that I can find.

So.... what have you guys done? Does anyone know how much (if any) is included in a new Sanden compressor, and the new Red-Dot gen 2 components?

What to do..... what to do :unsure:

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I did a bunch more digging since I'm about to charge my system tomorrow. The answer appears to be that Sanden ships all their compressors with a full system charge of oil for the application they are intended for and only if the system is larger than 4lbs or has very long hoses would more oil potentially be required. The FMTV hoses aren't particularly long and the system is right at or slightly under 4lbs so I'm going to just charge it and only add oil if I feel the compressor is louder than it should be or otherwise shows distress.

The Sanden installation instructions that detail this are located here:

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
They may tell you to drain the compressor . Then install something like 2 to 3 oz in the compressor then distribute the rest in the
Accumulator and condenser. If the dryer has a sight glass( sometimes tapped over) that is a good indicator of charge. No bubbles
In the sight, good to go! Make sure you rotate the compressor many times after you put the lines on, you don’t want to liquid
Lock the compressor…

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did turn over the compressor to ensure it would spin freely. And I fired up the system and it works great so far - I started with 3.75 lbs of refrigerant as my friend suggested and next time it's warm out I'm going to check the sight glass (it has a small one on the drier) and also watch system pressures. I'm waiting on a female M10 to male 7/16" switch port adapter to fit the trinary switch (currently jumped out for testing) and then the next warm day, which looks like Easter Sunday actually, to do a real world test with the system running and the trinary switch in play. My first test run was showing 38.7 degree vent temp so if that holds true with higher ambient temp it should be good to go!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks