• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ac60g ?

PAm1009

Please enlighten me i know its covered alot on here but i am getting ready for new GP's and currently have wellman 070. My 24v resistor bank is bypassed. I know the ac60g's are 12v GP's. Is it ok to use these since my resistor bank is bypassed meaning my current wellman GP's are getting 12v since the resistor bank was dropping them to 12v anyway? just a little mixed up i read the CUCV wiki and the saw the ac60g 12v only!. Thank you for the help i just feel like im doubting myslef.
kyle

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will be fine.

You'll need new 1/4 wide terminals.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock GPs for the CUCVs are all 12v. The HMMWVs are 24v.

While just about any 12v glowplugs (correct fitting) will work in the CUCV, the field reports show the 60g seem to work the best.

The 60gs will require grinding of the connectors or new 1/4" wire terminal ends.

Just like cars, depends on if you like Chevy, Ford or Dodge. Of course YMMV.

scottladdy

+1 on Doghead and Warthog's comments.

In addition, the 60G's are self-regulating. This should mean a lower chance of swollen plugs and a longer life to them. I replaced the original 25+ year old AC's in my M1008A1 with 60G's. Starts almost instantly in the cold after "wait" time.

richingalveston

I would like to note in this thread also, AC60G's are self regulating with regaurds to temperature. They have an internal thermo coupler that disconnects power when they get to hot. They are NOT self regulating on voltage. If you do not do the resistor bypass, you can provide to much voltage to an AC60G and burn it out thus burning all of them out.
Some people seem to think self regulating means that voltage to them does not matter.
They are only temperature self regulating. Thus if you have a manual glow plug bypass, these are the better glow plugs for you. They also protect against a glow plug controler card going bad and leaving them on to long.