• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acceleration Question

zeisshensoldt

Just a question about the deuces acceleration. When I have the throttle in my deuce fully open in 5th gear, high range. It will reach 2000 to 2100 rpms effortlessly, but then it appears to slowly creep up to the rpm range i want to be in (2300-2350). I don't know if this is normal behavior, just curious. Also, I did notice a large area on top of the gas tank that appears like a diesel spill. It doesn't appear wet, but more like, greasy-ish. Could that be a cause for concern?

Last edited:

rlwm211

I have a S280 shelter on my truck. It takes bit to get to road speed which for me is 51-53 MPH. I do not cruise at an RPM any higher than that. I have the LDS and bit more horsepower so I would imagine an LDT will have a little less in terms of power but empty it should be able to pull itself along pretty well.

Does your truck make it to speed and does it stay there once you make the speed you want?

These trucks were never designed to be fast. They are geared for 40-50 and that was intentional.

If your truck accelerates well and pulls hard in the lower gears I would suspect that it is pretty much normal.

If you have not, I would suggest following the proceedure to drain your filters and see what comes out. This is done with the power switch on.

As to the fuel or residue on your fuel tank, I would clean it up and then see if it re-occurs. Never fill your tank more than it would be when you leave a couple of inches below the top surface of the tank. You need to allow room for expansion. As was pointed out in this thread, overfilling could cause this problem.

two.fiveM35

I don't push mine over 2000 rpm's, 45-47 mph is my max so can't answer that question. I little wetness around on top is normal. Your seal on the cap may not seal 100% and diesel doesn't evaporate like gas.

DieselBob

Mine will accelerate fairly smoothly / evenly up to red line. I don't mean that it is a fast acceleration but I have no problem going from say 2K rpm to 2500 rpm while driving down the highway. When mine starts to have trouble accelerating I know it's time for fuel filters. Also I always seem to have a little sheen of diesel around the filler even with a new gasket on the cap. That's pretty normal. Just take a look at al the over the road trucks and you will be hard pressed not to find one with the same trace of diesel around the filler.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree on checking the filters or check fuel pressure at full throttel and should be close to 70lb. and or have you checked boost or run up the main fuel adj. some? I would increase main fuel some if not.

monkster

Accelerating much past 2000 is going to be slight since you are already towards the top of the power curve.
Leakage around the cap and also where the fuel pump goes into the tank could be seal are gasket. I don't get past 2000 to 2100 rpms . All of my tractors throttle stops at 2200 with the exception of the JD 4020 witch has a 2ed stop in case of one last ditch effort.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it easily reach the RPM you want when operating under no load?
OR, does it rev slower after you reach 2000/2100?
If it acts the same you have either a fuel filter problem, boost pump problem or governor problem.
Filters are easy.
Boost pressure can be checked with new filters at the bleed port, 30 to 40 at idle and 60/70 at 2500. If short, check pressure relief on booster pump. or time for a pump.
If governor, time to send the IP to the shop or replace, the springs are persnickety about selection and you have to have a flow bench to set the fuel cut-off rate.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the short answer is that it should go to 2600 rpm just as easily as it goes to 2000. it either needs more fuel or the govenor is set too low.
tom

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would say sounds as FILTERS, if runs smooth, ect, till the last race for rpm. I'll say it again FILTERS