• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accessory rewire

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally finished re-wiring the added accessories. I never liked the idea of running power wires thru a switch directly to the item. So I added a relay panel; behind the companion seat.
Control panel L to R: Bar Light, Running lights, back up light, back up horn, cameras (future) and crane.
Didn't wire the back-up to come on when selecting reverse as there are time when I might need them without selecting reverse.

Control.jpeg

Power is through resetable CBs.

Power.jpeg

Relay panel as well as control panel are installed with connectors so easily removed.

Relay panel.jpeg

Relays are mounted behind companion protected from anything thrown under the seat. (Still working on this cover).

Mounted.jpeg

I did not go to the overhead as I did not like access for the wire run. There is a hole in the center windshield structure on the top but nothing on the bottom. Windshield could be folded and a new hole drilled on the bottom and larger hole drilled on the top. This would be prefect, except I have a fiberglass top that wraps over the windshield frame so would have to be pretty much removed. Then if I ever wanted to run with the top off and WS down I would have to disconnect everything. May do this when I add camera and radio, not sure yet.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Brother, This give me some ideas... I'm also wanting to add 12v to my system- some say to add a 12v altanator and separate battery , which I hope to do asap.. I would think someone would have a bracket made and altanator as a kit - But I gues I can made something . I'd like to add a stereo and high watt amp - so the stereo can compete with the C Turbo LOL

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got 2 - 24 to 12 volt converters. Even though 24 volt components are harder to find I will stay with 24 volt. Twice the voltage equals half the amps, all things being equal, for the same power.

Good luck!

INFChief

Finally finished re-wiring the added accessories. I never liked the idea of running power wires thru a switch directly to the item. So I added a relay panel; behind the companion seat.
Control panel L to R: Bar Light, Running lights, back up light, back up horn, cameras (future) and crane.
Didn't wire the back-up to come on when selecting reverse as there are time when I might need them without selecting reverse.

View attachment 861954

Power is through resetable CBs.

View attachment 861956

Relay panel as well as control panel are installed with connectors so easily removed.

View attachment 861957

Relays are mounted behind companion protected from anything thrown under the seat. (Still working on this cover).

View attachment 861958

I did not go to the overhead as I did not like access for the wire run. There is a hole in the center windshield structure on the top but nothing on the bottom. Windshield could be folded and a new hole drilled on the bottom and larger hole drilled on the top. This would be prefect, except I have a fiberglass top that wraps over the windshield frame so would have to be pretty much removed. Then if I ever wanted to run with the top off and WS down I would have to disconnect everything. May do this when I add camera and radio, not sure yet.
Do these relays eliminate the need for a circuit breaker / fuse?

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. Go ahead and invest in yourself and the happiness of your truck. Fuse or Circuit Breaker on everything that you add will be your best plan.
I would add to that, that when you are putting fuses or circuit breakers in the system, get them as close to where they get power from (+ battery terminal, 12v power converter, etc.) as possible. That way you have less unprotected wiring that could still cause a short without protection from the fuse.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would add to that, that when you are putting fuses or circuit breakers in the system, get them as close to where they get power from (+ battery terminal, 12v power converter, etc.) as possible. That way you have less unprotected wiring that could still cause a short without protection from the fuse.
For sure!

The closer to the power source that the fuse is, the less chance of letting the smoke out of the wires will be.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's not 24V, it doesn't belong in a tactical.

Get the right stuff, don't make it into some Lazy-Boy recliner on wheels.

Geez...

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks