• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accuracy of Weight on Dataplate

Fudge0514

I had my M101A3 trailer weighed yesterday. I removed the tarp and 5 bows. It weighed in a 1700 lbs. The dataplate says is should weigh 1540 lbs.

The only mods on the trailer:
-Spray in bedliner (in bed only)
-Set of magnetic tow lights

Has anyone else ever weighed their trailer? If so, how close was it to the weight on the dataplate?

I found it very odd that it was so far off.

tbearatkin

160 lbs does not seem that far off. How many coats of paint since it was built? Do you have the exact tires that are called for? Does it have wood or metal racks? And the scales at a dump. Although recommended by the base does not mean certified. Only means close enough for gov work. I would check and see when the last cert was.

466Navastar

sprayed in bedliners are sometimes 3/8" or more thick - maybe that and multi coats of paint and dirt and/or different tires/rims could account for difference...besides who says the govt is EXACT...probably what designed to be - the manufacturer may have substituted a thicker / heavier something that they had on the shelf - that met or exceeded govt spec.

Ressoldier

sprayed in bedliners are sometimes 3/8" or more thick - maybe that and multi coats of paint and dirt and/or different tires/rims could account for difference...besides who says the govt is EXACT...probably what designed to be - the manufacturer may have substituted a thicker / heavier something that they had on the shelf - that met or exceeded govt spec.
X2 Spray on bedliner can add that much. The information on the Data plate is usually pretty good. Reason beig that it is that basis for load out for Rail, Truck, Air. Yes I kow that each piece will be weighed for Center load and balance prior to shipmet but that is also to account for any load placed on the vehicle.

Last edited:

Fudge0514

As far as I know the wheels and tires are spec (two piece 16.5" steel wheels, 37x12.5x16.5 Goodyear MT). It had the side racks on but I removed the top 5 bows and removed the tarp (which you would think WOULD be included with the trailer's overall weight on the dataplate). The front and rear sides were the metal racks, the sides are made of wood.

How many coats of paint on the trailer? **** if I know. I would think if they added more coats of paint they would have updated the dataplate. Want me to start scraping and find how coats were used?

Bedliner? It's not 3/8" thick, holy crap. Seriously? It's a smidge over 1/16" but under 1/8" thick.

The scales were last calibrated in April.

So it looks like no one here has ever had their trailers weighed to cross check the accuracy of the dataplate. I got a ton of responses that the scales I went to are probably off. Overall not very helpful or informative.

Fudge0514

Talked to the people that did the bed liner as well as another local place that offers the same liner. Estimated weight of product to do this size bed would be between 15 to 40 lbs.

The trailer is in a "like new" condition. No mud/dirt.

Ressoldier

I have weighed hundreds of pieces of equipment and have not found much variation in weight from the data plate. I was the movement officer for both my deployments and did rail, ship and air of all unit equipment. I have not picked up my 101 yet and neither deployment did I take a 101 trailer so that is one piece I have not weighed to confirm. These are made to General Specification and would expect a 20-40lb difference based on additional paint coats or maybe they had .150 wall instead of .120 wall metal on hand when making. Also if the people that sprayed it in only gave you 1/16 t0 1/32 coating then they cheated you. The average Rhino or Linex lining is closer to 3/16 or 1/4 and around 40-60lbs. Also on the tires there are weight differences between the 3-4 different tires used or you could have one with the run flat ring inside. I am not sure if the A3 calls for the run flat ring or not.

There are several people that have weighed their trailers, just need to look through build threads or recovery threads. Hopefully someone will post up but I know in my short time on this site I have seen several trailer weights already. When I am able to recover my trailer I will weigh it and post up.

Fudge0514

The point of this thread was to see who had their trailers weighed and what the results were. How hard is it to get a proper reply? Instead I get people replying with my bedliner being shotty or too thick, asking where I had it weighed and for the scales calibration records, what color is the roof on my house, etc.

I don't care how the trailer was made and with what thickness metal. Geesh let's get in the weeds on something like that shall we? Build the trailer - weigh it. That's why it gets weighed, because of inconsistencies.

A dataplate needs to be the final weighing of the trailer as it left the factory. If it was repainted after or of modifications were made then the trailer should have been re-badged with an updated weight.

Shouldn't the placarded weight include the top and bows? By removing those items the trailer should be----lighter!

When aircraft are repainted they are reweighed after for proper weight and balance. This would be annotated in the aircraft forms.

I swear, I thought this forum was supposed to be helpful, and in the other thread I created it was like pulling teeth to get a proper answer. Here's the other thread I created:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/sf-97-help/65419-vin-body-type.html

I just wanted to know which was the right part of the supposed number, I didn't ask for the background of the trailer and then I'm being asked for a donation.

Fudge0514

My plates state 1350 pounds for my 1990 Ebensburg Pa. built M101A2
I removed the Pintle, brake system, racks, bows, and changed wheels and tires.
She weighs 1080 pounds certified "Allegheny County weights and measures."
Thank you for sharing this information. :)

KsM715

Aircraft regulations are much, much more stringent than trailer regulations.

I don't remember reading where anyone called your bedliner shoddy?

My question, now that you have resolved the scale accuracy part, Do the wheels have the heavy run-flats in them? The wheels could have been swapped at any motorpool with wheels with run-flats.

Fudge0514

Dont forget about sideboards, tarp, and bows....
What about them? I removed the tarp and bows for weighing. (And because they were already off and in the garage.) However, all sideboards, tarp, and bows should have been included in the weight on the dataplate, since they are part of the trailer.

KsM715

What about them? I removed the tarp and bows for weighing. (And because they were already off and in the garage.) However, all sideboards, tarp, and bows should have been included in the weight on the dataplate, since they are part of the trailer.

They are accesories. Not all trailers are issued with them.