• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AcDelco Replacement Lock Cylinders, General Anti-Theft Tips

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One crazy idea I had would be to wire up a odorless smoke devise that fills up the cab and engine compartment once the truck moves more than 3 feet.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more crazy idea. What about some kind of lock to keep someone from releasing the parking brake?

MarcusOReallyus

So I've been wanting to get away from the common CUCV keys working for my truck. Changing out the cylinders is a pretty straightforward process, what I'm wondering is if the replacement AcDelco cylinders that you can get anywhere online are keyed unique or if they're all keyed the same model to model. I have no prior experience with them.

Dunno where you are on this, but I just replaced all three (doors and ignition) and they are keyed alike. I got them here. (Scroll down.) $44 and change, shipped.

Do yourself a favor and get a couple of the Exterior Door Lock Pawl Clips while you're at it.

Terracoma

^ I've got the same set of cylinders on my M1008 (from GMC Paul's), and they're far better quality than the generic set on my M1031 from Autozone.

Another vulnerable point of access on these old squarebody trucks are the wing/vent windows, where minimal to moderate tampering will overcome the old and worn out latches...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, vehicle stolen + vehicle location solved = Vehicle recovered < happy endings to power of ten = theft problem solved, no?
Theft problem solved means it doesn’t get stolen in the first place.

LoJack shows where the vehicle is.
The condition that it will be in is anyone’s guess.
Recovery of a stolen vehicle is rarely a 100% happy ending.

Crashed, submerged, parts stripped, burned, vandalized (busted windows, spray painted, etc.), is the usual recovery condition.
Far from happy ending.

Merddin

Ordered an ac Delco ignition lock cylinder off Amazon for 13$. Got two new door lock cylinders, ac Delco, from Amazon for under 20$. 89057683# on door cylinders. I threw box away already for ignition so no number.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the chain through the steering wheel all the time.
Sure it can be defeated easily, but it takes time.
Bolt cutters aren’t the most easily concealed item.
Usually, Crooks hate taking a lot of time to steal something.

Most thieves will not be initially prepared for cutting the chain/lock.
If it’s a target of opportunity, they won’t return in most cases.
Dedicated target and determined theft....? That’s a completely different issue.

If they want it bad enough, they’ll get it.
The trick is to make the target as unattractive as possible in the crooks eyes.

Hidden kill switches are excellent since they rarely will take the time to diagnose why it’s not starting and then look for the switch.

It takes less than 30 seconds to steal one of these.
Anything to slow that down and make them think twice and move on is a plus.

A thief with a tow truck.........?! LoJack will definitely help.
At least you’ll know where it is.

It’s never ending.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks