• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acquired a Military surplus load bank

Dewie38

Mil standard 705c (standard for generator testing) test method 640.1,(Maximum power test) is only 110% rated kw load for 2 minutes.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

The overload trip is a time vs amount vs percent power type of trip. The units will trip on a overload. The unit is designed to keep chugging, and then trip when finally saying it is a over voltage fault. Will the unit stay running at a 105% power usage. Probably yes. Will it stay running for a few minutes before tripping at 125%, yes, maybe 5 minutes before tripping.

A lot also will depend on the connections. Are all the connection good, rusted? loose?

justicelee26

My 803a oil pressure is consistently about 35 psi and will drop to around 30 when loaded heavily. It is interesting that the pressures are so much different. I’m running John Deere break in oil currently as I only have about 65 hours on the machine. It runs like a champ so I’m not worried about it but I wonder why that is?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much
You can find them from time to time. After several years of looking I finally scored one (an Essex A427A) from an auction site for about $1,800 including shipping costs. It’s like new inside. I’m happy with it but a couple of shop heaters can be had for a few hundred bucks and will do a good job for checking out a set.

Jestes1

I use 3 5kw comfort zone heaters I got from tractor supply.
Those plus a 50ft roll of sjoow cord (cut into 1/3) and 3 plugs and I had a "load bank" capable of any load between 3kw and 15kw for 200-$250.
You can find them from time to time. After several years of looking I finally scored one (an Essex A427A) from an auction site for about $1,800 including shipping costs. It’s like new inside. I’m happy with it but a couple of shop heaters can be had for a few hundred bucks and will do a good job for checking out a set.
I am looking at a A427 load bank. Does not look the Greatest but it works. Do you have an opinion?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at a A427 load bank. Does not look the Greatest but it works. Do you have an opinion?
I would make sure it was in good working order. Cosmetics don't matter too much but I would avoid one that was full of rust and corosion. Dents and dings I can live with but if its rusty then I'd be more concerned.

Zed254

What does a load bank cost?
thank you
My Kenmore 'load bank' cost me $50, the 2 dollies $20/each, the electrical connector around $30.....$120. A few months later I found a second stove on the side of the street and dragged it home. I move this one around with a hand truck. It needed a couple burners replaced so cost was around $30. I use my Kenmore every 3 months to test my 803.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My Kenmore 'load bank' cost me $50, the 2 dollies $20/each, the electrical connector around $30.....$120. A few months later I found a second stove on the side of the street and dragged it home. I move this one around with a hand truck. It needed a couple burners replaced so cost was around $30. I use my Kenmore every 3 months to test my 803.
And it provides emergency heat too - if there is a need for it!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A chap in TX (SS member) is now the owner of my A427... and its perfectly sized to give his 005 a good amount of testing. It was overkill for my needs... but yeah, you can test machines without breaking the bank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks