• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acquired an M1009

rivcrazy2000

Howdy folks,

New to the site, and pretty much everything on it MV's, CUCV's, diesels, etc. I love K5s though and so I started looking more and more at these CUCV's because of the low miles and straight bodies that can be found in the sub 5k range. I picked up a pretty clean '86 M1009 with 63k miles for I thought a reasonable price. Thing runs and drives well no shakes, rattles, or vibrations, and the diesel starts/runs just wonderfully. I was turned onto the site by the previous owner and I've been reading loads and loads of useful information. So I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself and the Blazer, I'm sure I'll enjoy the site as much as the truck.

Attachments

forest522

Welcome! My m1009 came from Alaska too. Don't regret the purchaee at all, its been great! Welcome to the site and enjoy your new hobby!

Oh, be sure to download the tech manuals and read them! I've gotten great help from this site, CUCV electric and the wisdom of many on this site!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness.

Great looking truck. Doesn't look like it has major rust issues.

Make sure you visit the CUCV Forum, read all the Stickies and download the FREE technical manuals.

rivcrazy2000

Thanks for the replies. The reason I grabbed this one up was because it was white. The camo is cool but I like having a solid regular color. You can still see where they took off the national guard id's and the tailgate instructions, I will airbrush those back on soon. Im happy with it so far and hope I can get some good years of service out of it. I will keep updates going as I do more things to it. Did these things have a spare or no?

Last edited:

mckeeranger

Thanks for the replies. The reason I grabbed this one up was because it was white. The camo is cool but I like having a solid regular color. You can still see where they took off the national guard id's and the tailgate instructions, I will airbrush those back on soon. Im ha.ppy with it so far and hope I can get some goyears of service out of it. I will keep updates going as I do more things to it. Did these things have a spare or no?
Actually, I guess in Alaska, there are time white IS camo.

The spare goes inside, right side of cargo compartment. There should have been a bracket to bolt it to.
TM 9-2320-289-10, page 3-9 (that's page three dash nine, not three through nine)
http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/CUCV/TM9-2320-289-10.pdf

Last edited:

rivcrazy2000

Thank you for that operators manual! I will print off a copy and read through it tonight, pretty handy. I found the TM section as well so I will thumb through it as I have the time. I've had it for a week and took it out to one of the off-roading trail systems here outside of Palmer over the long weekend and had a blast. Everything worked wonderfully, made it up steep sand hills, forded rivers, fun times to be had in this thing I can already tell!

rivcrazy2000

So had a hole in my radiator about the size of my pinky I picked up from offroading last weekend. Went to Napa for the new one and it was listed at 469.99$. The guy said that's probably the most expensive radiator we sell, then he saw my work shirt (I work at the University of Alaska) and he said let me try something. Knocked it down to $339.99. I didn't get pics of the install just the old rad in the trash which I will post later. Took the top off tonight and washed the interior out with the hose, soap, and a mop. I will post pics of that later tonight as well.

rivcrazy2000

Been a couple weeks. Not much new on the CUCV, just that I took the dash out to get the heater blower working. Cleaned the contacts on the switch and it fired right up. While I was in there I went ahead and got my voltage meter working as well just had to solder a broken lead together. I am becoming very happy with the rig, having everything working is awesome and soon I will try to get a factory-ish stereo system installed in the dash. Here are the pics of the radiator and the top off though! Oh and I want to get a light system installed on it like I see on semi trucks these days where it lights up the forest enough that you can see it miles away, does anyone have any experience with this type of lighting? I am really wanting to do something like that so I can see in the weather up here.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a beautiful example of an M1009.

LOVE your interior. You did get a nice example.

Lights should be no problem. Perhaps a light bar up high? Will come in real handy in the land of "ALWAYS NIGHT OR ALWAYS BRIGHT"...

Welcome to the 'green iron disease'... You do know that these things are addictive. You will find yourself wondering how to purchase another one sooner than you might think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks