• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Across the country in an M1009

Mike_Pop

Well, this will be my fourth cross country trip in the M1009. This time, instead of using an air mattress, I've stuffed an extra long single mattress in the M1009. Like before, I built a platform to store milk crates underneath but because this is an extra long mattress, I had to remove the back of the passenger seat.

Believe it or not but I can fit eight crates under the platform. However, since I will be traveling with my two cats, I only have four underneath along with a littlerbox and kennel. They don't mind the ride too much. One usually hides and the other sleeps on the passenger seat.

It's a tight fit which is why my M1009 is for sale since I've upgraded to a Suburban. However, the Suburban is in NJ and that's where I am heading.

The roof rack allows me to double my space so I have some medical chests up there. It does make it a little top heavy if I load it up too much.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
You might want to contact Kenworth on this design of a parallel to the road sleeper unit. Do you have shades for all the windows? I have slept in my Suburban many times and found that total window blockage really helped as light wakes me up but noise is something I am used to. Looks good hope you have a safe and fun trip.

Mike_Pop

David,

Tinted windows on the sides and rear. For the front, I just put up one of those cardboard sunscreens. I know what you mean about lights from truck stops or rest areas.

The nice thing about the partial platform is that I can sit on the bed (hunched over) and put my shoes on.

BobM

Does your blazer have the overdrive tranny or the TH400? And is your 'burban an ex-military? And/or is it diesel also? What kinda mileage are you getting on your long distance trips? My wife and I are long range driver's also. We just made a 5800 mile trip in our '03 Silverado out to the Trinity site and area 51. We wish we had another 'burban.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
My Burb is a 98 K1500 6.5 turbo diesel. It gets pretty good milage if I do not put my foot in it. Routine runs from Baltimore to DC got 20 plus MPG. It is an LT model so it is my cruiser I can drive all day and night in that truck. It has the running gear of a 3/4 ton but has the higher gears so that is why the milage is better. The only problem I have had is the control modual going out, I keep a spare now so if it does it I am not DITW. My CUCV is a standard 3 speed and it gets around 18 to 20 with the 33 inch tires on it

Elwenil

Wow, I just normally sleep in the back seat of my Ramchargers, lol. I guess being under 6' is an advantage in that case, lol.

Mike_Pop

Does your blazer have the overdrive tranny or the TH400? And is your 'burban an ex-military? And/or is it diesel also? What kinda mileage are you getting on your long distance trips?
The M1009 has the TH400 (no OD).
There wasn't a military version of the Suburban but mine is an ex-paramedic truck. 3/4 ton gasser, 16mpg. I plan on militarizing it though.
The M1009 mileage varies with terrain and the load. On the flats, unloaded, I get 16mpg. In the mountains with a load, I get 12mpg. I think I need a rebuild on the injection pump.

gt1009

My M1009 gets around 20 mpg around town and I've spiked at 25 on the highway going around 60. That's with the stock tranny and 31.5 inch tires. We also have a gasser 98 suburban with the 350 and special 2.73 gears, and the first thing we did when we bought it with 20k miles on it was take it on a 1000 mile trip to maryland. Turned out to average just over 20 mpg in the pensylvania mountains with the A/C on!!

Mike_Pop

Well, I've camped overnight in Moab, UT. Luckily, this campground has internet access. I met up with a bunch of Unimog owners who do, "Mogs at Moab" every year. They are all leaving this morning, heading home to Denver. I'll be heading southeast across Colorado to Pueblo. So far, no mechanical problems. The truck did overheat on a couple long grades but I suspect it is because I put some radiator sealant in over the winter after being behind a tractor trailer kicking up road salt. He perforated the front of the radiator with bb sized rocks. Two cans of sealant and it is fine. However, I think it may have clogged the thermostat a little. No worries though.

Mike_Pop

Hey Everyone....

The trip went smooth as silk. I had no problems whatsoever with the M1009, as usual. I picked up a load at Gene Pantano's place in Colorado Springs and then two more loads in Boone and Rocky Ford. While at Gene's place, I met a fellow SS member with his Suburban which he is converting to look military.

The ride from Rocky Ford to New Jersey was a slow one since the M1009 is a POS when it comes to towing. My max speed was 60mph and my fuel consumption was 10-12 mpg. Crossing over the Allegheny Mountains in western Maryland was a very slow ride.

The M1009 is now located in New Jersey and is for sale. One of the reasons for making the trip was to sell it here since there are more MV enthusiasts on the East Coast.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome back east Mike. Do you stop by Gene's often? If you have it, can you PM me his email address?

Mike_Pop

KENNY: I've only visited Gene twice. Both times were to pick up loads. He's a really nice guy which only shows that most people from NJ are not jerks!

I also stopped at Rob Pickering's place in LaJunta, CO. He owns a recycling business and sells Unimogs.

BJORN: A couple photos of a Ford 8x8 for you! Rob has had this for many years. It runs and drives and is for sale.

Attachments

Mike_Pop

Thanks for chiming in Joe! I'm lousy with names. Also, I passed the place in Lamar...wow! That guy has expanded since I was through there two years ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks