• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Active Duty M880's

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently whille being home on leave after returning from Iraq a soldier from down the road here was telling me that at Ft Riley, they had a "Dodge just like yours" that they used to get the mail with. I didn't question or argue, I just figured it was a newer Dodge pickup that wasn't an M series.

Today I'm on here and see a GL ad for an M880 in the corner. (One of the Crane, IN auctions that were pulled)

I know some people that recently bought M887's thru GL (contact body) and an 80's non M series with a contact body.

Now I'm really wondering how many of these MoGas machines are still in service.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are still a few M880s floating around as grocery getters on base. They are not fielded in the tactical sense. When I say few, I mean probably less than 10 throughout the whole DoD, however you never know with these bases and outposts way up in the middle of nowhere.

Remember the auction for the M37 on GL about 2004 or so, and there were a couple M135/211 based trucks that got sold off in 2007. They do have a tendency to sit around a while.

FrankUSMC

On my base, MCAS Cherry Point, NC, there are a couple of jeep M416 trailers still in use, and, drum roll, we still use every day about 20 WWII navy Mark II bombtrailers.
I got 2 beautifull WWII trailers off GL a couple of years ago from the air force base in Goldsboro NC.
Stuff is still out there.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Scarecrow1

I don't want to alarm anyone but the reason the surplus trucks. Along with other surplus trailers and such are not allowed to be exported is because Uncle Sam can at any time reclaim them in a time of emergency . The trucks you still see running around shows that they still have plenty of parts on hold to repair them just in case . And keeping one or two around keeps the gear heads a hands on training tool . But don't worry I think you can keep them for a long time lol...............:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks