• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ACU camo?

Elwenil

Which German pattern? The German Flecktarn patterns and it's variants work very well, especially when you consider they have been around since WWII. While a lot of camouflage patterns seem odd, they are usually very specialized and work very well in their intended environment, season and even time of day. In my honest opinion, ACU is the result of a few General's ideas to "keep up with the Jones' " when the USMC went to their digital pattern. I end up with a lot of ACU surplus gear and I usually just give it away or toss it since I consider it useless. I think I kept an ACU buttpack to keep tool in, in my Ramcharger but that's it.

williamwerner326

As of now, the new multicam pattern is being issued to soldiers going over seas to Afghanistan first. In like i think July they will start to issue mulitcam to soldiers ALREADY over there. And then the Army is basically using that as the "test" run and then i think like next year decide if they are going to make the change Army wide.

So i guess my question is...

What do ya'll think about a Muliticam MV? If i did ACU i would make it proportional to the truck.
I think a multicam 1009 would be awesome! I imagine that it would be an extraordinary amount of work though.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your going to paint a truck in MultiCam, you better go work out the licensing issues with Crye Precision. They dont take kindly to people stealing their ideas.

B3.3T

Crye Precision does not license MultiCam, they require you buy all the materials in MultiCam from them.
Besides, no one is going to care about a one off truck. If you were cranking them out for profit it might be different.

Elwenil

I don't think I saved the link but there is a company that has licensed the Multicam pattern for the vehicle appliques. I didn't think much about saving the link since it's a clothing scale pattern for a vehicle which doesn't work and any long time members of SS will probably remember what a stickler I am for "correct" camouflage patterns, lol. But point blank, patterns on the scale for use with individual clothing and gear do not work on larger scale objects. If the pattern was blown up in scale to match the size of the vehicle and then modified to place the shapes in such a way as to conceal the identifying shape of said vehicle, then it may be effective in the environment it was designed for. For example, think about the old US Woodland BDU patterns and how they look compared to 3 Color NATO. Similar patterns with the same environments in mind but with very different execution specific to the item they are concealing. Another point is that once you have enough of a small scale camouflage pattern, you begin to see the actual pattern the shapes make on a large surface as the same shapes show up down the side in regular intervals. And as everyone knows, regular patterns of shapes scream "man made" and draw the eye's attention. As much as I hate to use it as an example, but the old pic of the Lamborghini with the Chocolate Chip pattern is a good example of blowing a small pattern up to scale rather then just painting it the same as the clothing pattern like the ACU HMMWVs. Just my .02

MrBouncer

It would probalby look awesome. But the cost would be HIGH or the time by do it yourselfer would LONG. Kinda like socks on a rooster as I like to say.

bshupe

I don't think I saved the link but there is a company that has licensed the Multicam pattern for the vehicle appliques. I didn't think much about saving the link since it's a clothing scale pattern for a vehicle which doesn't work and any long time members of SS will probably remember what a stickler I am for "correct" camouflage patterns, lol. But point blank, patterns on the scale for use with individual clothing and gear do not work on larger scale objects. If the pattern was blown up in scale to match the size of the vehicle and then modified to place the shapes in such a way as to conceal the identifying shape of said vehicle, then it may be effective in the environment it was designed for. For example, think about the old US Woodland BDU patterns and how they look compared to 3 Color NATO. Similar patterns with the same environments in mind but with very different execution specific to the item they are concealing. Another point is that once you have enough of a small scale camouflage pattern, you begin to see the actual pattern the shapes make on a large surface as the same shapes show up down the side in regular intervals. And as everyone knows, regular patterns of shapes scream "man made" and draw the eye's attention. As much as I hate to use it as an example, but the old pic of the Lamborghini with the Chocolate Chip pattern is a good example of blowing a small pattern up to scale rather then just painting it the same as the clothing pattern like the ACU HMMWVs. Just my .02
I think the biggest issue here is that most camo patterns for vehicles is intended to conceal the vehicle from the air or from opfor armor. In either case the eyes from which you are hiding are a long way off and so blending a large object into the environment is a very different pursuit than hiding a soldier from another soldier at closer range. The obvious problem with any of the MVs we are talking about is glass and wheels. No amount of sophisticated paint work is going to overcome these problems (at close range).

Great thread though..... old to many of you but new to me.

nattieleather

I think the ACU would look dump on an MV. The multi cam would look better, but as stated would have to be enlarged to be in proportion to the vehicle. Meaning a M1009 would be different sized pixles (squares) than a M35 would have.

If I was going to do it I would take an existing cammo pattern for the vehicle. Either MERC or NATO and pixlelate it to make it digital and then paint that onto the vehicle so that it would be a proven pattern but digitalized.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks