• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adapter for a 4 pin trailer harness?

ljbrochu92

I just installed a class V hitch on my M1028. I'm wondering if there is some kind of adapter out there to stick into the stock plugin that will convert it to 4 pin? I want to haul my trailer without getting pulled over for no lights haha. If there is no such adapter, how do you guys wire up a harness? Do you have to run a brand new harness from front to back of the truck or can you get a 4 pin harness and splice into the CUCV harness by the bumper or something?

Thanks for any and all help. Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to CUCV stuff.

P.S. I took some pictures of my hitch install and I can make a new thread of what I did if people are interested.

wbdodgeiv

I happened to have the 4 pin packard plugs used on the tail light harness to trailer plug connection. I made a new harness that replaced the stock trailer plug adapter that fit a 4 pin trailer plug.

ehuppert

The "easy" button is buy the t tap connector. Plugs into factory wire harness at rear connector.... Less than twenty $ and no hacking up wires!

cucvrus

The "easy" button is buy the t tap connector. Plugs into factory wire harness at rear connector.... Less than twenty $ and no hacking up wires!
I don't think that fits the military wiring harness. The Packard plug on the military CUCV is different than the civilian models. But easy enough to cut the plugs from a scrap military plug and just use them to splice to a flat 4.

ljbrochu92

Ok, so plug that adapter in and then grab an extra wires and splice it into the truck harness underneath and the other end of that wire splice into the 4 pin connector? Do you know what color wires I splice?

art

It was along time ago, the adapter should have the wire code.
I remember it was the right turn signal has to be wired in.
Also check which connector you need, round or square

ljbrochu92

Can someone possibly find a link or part number to the adapter I need. I looked on eBay for the adapter and I think I found it but the pictures and descriptions aren’t clear. I can’t tell if it’s 12pin to flat 4pin.

joshuak

Can someone possibly find a link or part number to the adapter I need. I looked on eBay for the adapter and I think I found it but the pictures and descriptions aren’t clear. I can’t tell if it’s 12pin to flat 4pin.
Trailer light 4 wire plug Napa 755-1554Note: You still have to splice in one turn signal wire.
One option quoted from your own thread.

Another option is Curt 5531, worked for me. Same warning as art's option though, you have to chose where to get the other turn signal. The two options to plug in the harness are circled in red.

CUCV REAR SERVICE LIGHTING CIRCUITS color circles.jpg

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
E921A942-4220-4D74-8B39-30F2C524DE6E.jpg17D2F693-80F2-4D9D-9B75-0FA007860CC4.jpg

Short term solution.
Very easy to do if needed.

Pics (not mine) were borrowed from another thread.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I bought my 1009 that had been previously modified buy law enforcement a couple counties over they had the right signal hooked to the back up lights:shrugs:, right turns were hard on the trans till I straightened it out :shock:.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks