• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Add, or not to add, turbo

Sundance

My M109 has the LD-465 engine which runs great but is a little smokey on the pull. I have available a 1D turbo and a new exhaust system.

Will adding them help with the exhaust smoke and what else would need to be changed if I did it?

Not sure of the advantages vs the disadvantages.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I say do it. It will help with power too. You have the different tube from the air filter to the turbo? The oil tube to the turbo? The drain tube to the oil pan? The intake horn is different. Let me know if you need any of that stuff, I probably have it here. Can get detailed pics if you want.

Sundance

Thanks for the links and the encouragement. Not sure I want to retime the IP and fool with all the other adjustments. Guess I'll think on it awhile.:|

KaiserM109

I wish I could find a nice Duece without a turbo again
Huh??

I was upset when I found out that my M109 didn’t have a turbo. I can’t complain, though. Being entirely new to GL and not having found SS yet, when I bid on my truck I wasn’t sure if it even had an engine.

I say do it. It will help with power too. You have the different tube from the air filter to the turbo? The oil tube to the turbo? The drain tube to the oil pan? The intake horn is different. Let me know if you need any of that stuff, I probably have it here. Can get detailed pics if you want.
What would you sell a complete package for?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No turbo means , you will not have a turbo failure, ever! Also, not as important to idle for 5 minutes before shutdown.

jmh4x4

i love my non-turbo, one less thing to worry about breaking, and i never have tailgators or a mosquito problem, as I can operate under the cover of smoke:-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Huh??

I was upset when I found out that my M109 didn’t have a turbo. I can’t complain, though. Being entirely new to GL and not having found SS yet, when I bid on my truck I wasn’t sure if it even had an engine.

What would you sell a complete package for?
Kaiser, right now I am out of turbos. If you got the turbo, oil tube, and drain, I have the rest all brand new for $200.

bassetdeuce

No turbo means , you will not have a turbo failure, ever! Also, not as important to idle for 5 minutes before shutdown.
Couldn't be more correct. K eep I t S imple S tupid principle. I wouldn't mind more smoke as a penalty for better reliability. That said, I'm keepin my D turbo because I don't trust myself to screw around with my good functioning injector pump. :roll:

SEAFIRE

We added a "D" turbo to our W/W earlier this year. It came without a turbo. After the turbo install we re-timed the fuel pump per the manual.

We primarily added the turbo because the truck smoked a LOT. I wish we had taken a picture of it going down the highway before we added the turbo. Some of the local government officials had even complained to us about it. The Turbo install killed 90% of the smoke and increased performance. We did not turn the fuel up.

No turbo means , you will not have a turbo failure, ever!
Our other M35A2 came with a "C" turbo. A few months ago it gave up the ghost and we had to replace it, so..... I see the reasoning in this argument as well.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Some failures may be because a low budget take off, used earlier by someone who didn't care, gets re-used. Mine came from e-bay for $50 or 100?. It was a 'D' in great shape (trivia challenge- seller owned the red R2) . The condition is easy to check if you can get one in your hand. My LD was slow. The home made LDT is not. The IP reset and timing adj was easy and fun. I added a stack muffler. Very happy with that. The boost gauge is fun to watch. You can feel the power when the needle passes 6 or 7. The boost increases as rpm goes up . Interestingly the EGT drops as rpm goes up. 12psi is almost a 'wow'. It is quite a lively little pointer.

p.s. Big rigs run 35-45psi, again almost a 'wow'. Anyone know if that 250psi manifold pressure ss tractor pullers make is a 'wow'? I think it must be...

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
It could be used to set pump, though a pyro is better. Once you know what it reads you could probably just use the seat of pants gauge. Like I said it's fun to watch. You may drive more efficently with one. When you tow it is handy. Of you back out at redline the needle drops like a stone. When you stand on it it rises real fast, to rpm anyways.

I have cranetruck's MVM turbo instal article on my hard drive and will e-mail it , or post it if he give his OK

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Also, not as important to idle for 5 minutes before shutdown.
That is good advice, and may be on the dash warning plaque, but advice offered for a worst case scenario. It is applicable for times when the engine is running at the highest EGT, like running hard on a hot day... If you were to take it slow coming home down your neighborhood side street, then spend a moment backing up the drive, you may need no cool-down time at all. I try and wait till the pyrometer is reading at or below 300*F(post probe).A more common idle time is 60sec.

FreightTrain

Banned
well,when I re-engine the Martyr Machine I am gonna deturbo it.Was originally a 71 non turbo truck.I turboed it.Engine messed up(not turbo related).So I am gonna put a turbo engine back in it but I am gonna remove the turbo and set everything to N/A settings(minus the fuel screw.....SMOKE!).