• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Add pto to lmtv 1078

Hello all,

Our Fire department has recently purchased an LMTV 1078 to replace our aging M35A2.

I would like to add an auto crane to the truck as well as possibly the self-recovery winch.

Our LMTV has no controls for PTO in the cab- obviously no hydraulic pump or reservoir, is it possible to add these items so that we can enjoy use of PTO?

If so, would it be possible to use the PTO to power a hydraulic auto-crane?

Forgive my ignorance if this is an obvious answer.

Thanks for your help.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it is possible to add a PTO, hydraulic tank, cab controls, winch etc. I added them to my M1083A1 conversion. The PTO is a pain to put in while the transmission is in the truck, but I did it on mine so it IS possible. The rest is fairly strait forward.

I do still have a spare tank, mounts, cab accessory box, wiring harness, etc. The PTO's come up for sale on Ebay.

coachgeo

Be aware, am pretty sure that the OEM military setup on these did not allow for the PTO to operate while in motion. ONLY when in park.

snowtrac nome

its actually only in neutral, i'm not Shure what is need for a wec 2 Allison to run a pto, most autos need to have a pto mode triggered to raise the line pressure and lock up the torque converter. we run pd fuel pumps off our 3000 series allisons with nothing more than a hot shift I would imagine there would have to be more to it if one was going to run max torque off of it.

dronsen

I have also done conversions - a LOT of work for a winch that only works when the truck is in neutral. I would highly recommend getting an electric winch and adding a front and rear 2" receiver so you can winch forward and back - very versatile design, remote control winch forward and back that works while truck is in gear and probably a LOT less expensive...good luck!

snowtrac nome

as for electric winches I was looking at a mount that could pin in on the tie down shackle eye and still be able to switch from front to rear and I could 2 part it through a snatch block on a heave pull

Colossus

Good afternoon. Do you still have the spare tank, cab accessory box, wiring harness? I have all other parts. Thanks in advance.

coachgeo

as for electric winches I was looking at a mount that could pin in on the tie down shackle eye and still be able to switch from front to rear and I could 2 part it through a snatch block on a heave pull
Can you start a thread on this idea please. Am curious.... but it is off topic of this thread. Much thanks in advance.

johnhatem

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it is possible to add a PTO, hydraulic tank, cab controls, winch etc. I added them to my M1083A1 conversion. The PTO is a pain to put in while the transmission is in the truck, but I did it on mine so it IS possible. The rest is fairly strait forward.

I do still have a spare tank, mounts, cab accessory box, wiring harness, etc. The PTO's come up for sale on Ebay.
MGKMartin, Planning on adding PTO to my M1083A1, can you let me know what PTO used and anything special with the 3070 trans, did it have to be flashed, etc... for it to work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks