• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Added a resonator to my truck

OD_Coyote

I put a Flowmaster resonator on my truck today and I like the way it sounds so far.
It cut the noise down enough that my wife will ride in the truck now...I guess that is good and bad.. :lol: WillWagner was the guy that gave me the info.
Can anyone recommned a paint that will hold up and comes in OD or desert sand?

Thanks,
OD_C

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just used the same Aervoe earth brown I used on the truck. Seems to hold up good. Onlyturns a little lighter on the outlet of the pipe. I just squirt it again and it's good to go. Lasts 6 mos or so with every other day driving.

Knucklehead

The best exhaust paint I have used is called VHT. It comes in spray cans and in a variety of colors. Most speed shops or bigger auto parts suppliers carry it. It requires proper surface prep before application.

OD_Coyote

Thanks for the information gents! If I can find the VHT in the right color I will give it a try...Otherwise I will go with the Aervoe.

houdel

ODC - How about a Flowmaster part number, dimensions and price? What are the inlet/outlet fittings (3"ID x 3"OD?)? Baffled or straight through? Did it just "make a difference", or did it "make a BIG difference"?

OD_Coyote

vbrescueman - D turbo.

houdel - The Flowmaster P/N is GP18...well that's whats on the invoice. If the P/N does not come up with your supplier let me know and I will call and see if they have another P/N they use when ordering. The resonator is 18" long and 4" OD. it has 3.5" inlet/outlet. and it is straight through. IIRC - The inner diameter of the resonator is 2.75"
I used the truck to haul 2 yards of gravel today and my wife could actually roll down the passenger window and carry on a conversation. Before you had to yell even with the window up...Now you have to talk loud, but not yell. It made a small difference, but enough to notice. The only time it is loud is when the engine is pulling a grade/working.

ODC

jatonka

This is the one I'm going to install on my M109A3 for the Oregon trip this summer. I will let it extend a little higher than stock to help with the noise, the box is up there anyway. Thanks OD Coyote and Will Wagner. When we put our heads together we win. JT out

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if the inner dia is only 2.75" you are probably creating much more back pressure than the turbo will like and will have much reduced boost.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Resonator on M35A2

Is part of the moderation of noise due to the stack being higher? I would not mind putting a larger one on if it did not restrict flow and quieted the truck down. My M52 is really quiet sure it is a gasser but the exhaust flows under the truck and there is a big muffler hanging there.

OD_Coyote

Re: Resonator on M35A2

jatonka said:
I did some looking around and it was DynaMax. Here is a picture after I put it in the stack and after I put it on the truck. It has quieted it down a lot. The Resonator is really straight thru. 3.5" ID all the way top to bottom. No inside restriction at all.
Lookin good jtonka! [thumbzup] [thumbzup] [thumbzup]

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: Resonator on M35A2

it must be the tall stack, i put one of those on and almost no difference. i have the db specs here somewhere from my tests, but i didn't like it so i went with the walker muffler. big difference there.

jatonka

RE: Re: Resonator on M35A2

Hey Tom, the walker muffler doesn't increase the back pressure? That was my main concern with sticking with straight thru. My stack height is 11" higher than stock. I have a decibel meter at the shop, I ran it against the M35A2 with 1D motor just like mine and the readings were a good bit lower. I will do it again and take written notes this time. I have a Fiberglass hardtop on my M109 and that absorbs some noise too. I also don't like the looks of a big long muffler on my truck. My hearing is gone anyway, so I'm happy with OD Coyote's resonator. JT

OD_Coyote

FWIW - WillWagner is the pioneer and deserves the credit for using a bullet style resonator, not me. I just used a different brand resonator than Will.
To WillWagner - :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks