• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Added a Warn 18000 lb winch to my Deuce

I just purchased my non-winch M35 in December, and went back and forth on trying to decide which type of winch to install. After a lot of reading on here, I decided to go the electric route.

I looked at what options and ideas are out there for extending the front bumper. One online retailer sells a mount kit for the Warn winch, but is somewhere around $800, more than I was willing to spend. There are several threads on here that show how guys have mounted theirs, then I found some pics posted by Steve6x6x6. I thought his mounting method was a great idea and modeled what I did after him.

I made some measurements and found a local steel fabricator shop to bend up the steel frame pieces I needed since I don't have the tools to do it myself. The overall extension of the bumper is 13", which left me with a 2" clearance between the winch and the radiator guard.

Cost for me was as follows:

2 pieces of 5/16" plate bent to 7 3/8 out to out and 22 1/2" long
2 pieces of 5/16" plate bent to 8" out to out and 13" long
1 piece of 3/8" plate 32 5/8" wide x 16 1/2" deep, with a 4" bend on the rear (had to modify the 2 corner at bottom of bent plate to clear the frame radius)
2 pieces of 3/8" plate 4" wide x 16 1/2" long (had to cut down shorter once in place, this was used to reinforce where the winch bolts to the larger horz plate)

Total cost of steel and bending/shearing to size was $205
15' of red and 15' of black 2/0 welding wire (actually used about 12' of each) $90
Battery connectors, couplers, heat shrink for 2/0 wire about $20 with spares
A crimper that you use a hammer with was about $20
Bolts and nuts (can't remember) I'll just say $40
Paint and primer about $20
Winch with remote, cable, and tensioner, including shipping $822

Total cost was about $1220 plus a couple days the last few weekends.

I had access to a plasma cutter (which I learned I suck at, should of just used a torch since it was my first time using a plasma), a welder, and brought a magnetic slugger drill home from work to drill the holes.

Attachments

dawico

Looks very good.

I will have a winch someday for my 5 ton and that would look great.

Any provisions for winching to the rear?

Nice job! How does it pull?
Since I completed installation a week ago, I haven't had a chance to get stuck yet...

It snowed 10-12" here today, so went out this afternoon and messed around a bit. I hooked up to a large dead tree and pulled it from its resting spot pretty easily. It pulls very slowly, but didn't bog down any. Pulling on the cable to free wheel it out I found to be pretty tough, especially in the snow. The long remote cable for these is nice to have.

Attachments

Hainebd

I hope you never use it top pull yourself out unless you want to get stuck. Last deuce I saw stuck was bobbed on 53 down to the frame. A D9 tried but no go. Brought in a super wrecker. Did a 90 pull off back end of D9 with snatch blocks. The truck came but back axle stayed. It was hung up on a stump. Took two days and $1,000 tow plus $130 in fines. My sugestion is "Don't Get Stuck". Get a couple of snatch blocks, slings, shackles, shovel, land anchor and the kitchen sink. I use mine for work mostly. Have fun

I hope you never use it top pull yourself out unless you want to get stuck. Last deuce I saw stuck was bobbed on 53 down to the frame. A D9 tried but no go. Brought in a super wrecker. Did a 90 pull off back end of D9 with snatch blocks. The truck came but back axle stayed. It was hung up on a stump. Took two days and $1,000 tow plus $130 in fines. My sugestion is "Don't Get Stuck". Get a couple of snatch blocks, slings, shackles, shovel, land anchor and the kitchen sink. I use mine for work mostly. Have fun
Yikes, that sounds like a terrible time for that Deuce owner. I hope I never find myself in a situation like that, and really doubt I will. I would think a D6 would about tear one of these in half (let alone a D9 like you used) unless they had poor footing as well and were just spinning themselves.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Pulling on the cable to free wheel it out I found to be pretty tough, especially in the snow. ....
The Garwood PTO winch is a beast and wrestling the cable once or twice (or all day!) will have any sane person think twice about un-spooling often.

Congrats on the install and thanks for the photos.

Rick