• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Added another M725 to the Motorpool

67Beast

Well my wife and daughter left me and my son unattended this past weekend while they were gone to a dance competition and the Green Iron Disease bit again. So across the state we went to pick up another 1967 M725 to add into the motorpool. I bought this one well under market value as it complete and 100% original with no missing pieces plus the owner had just done the brakes and a carb rebuild. Plus there was a load of extra parts to go with it including a set of NOS front fenders and things like spare water pump, fuel pumps, carb, gaskets, spark plugs, dist. and wire set and a front bumper. It runs and drives great with only a few small issues, the exhaust is broke at the flange in front of the muffler and the fuel tank has some scale and needs to be cleaned out (right now it's running on a secondary tank under one of the rear bench seats) I have a spare complete exhaust system and all new gaskets so I will be fixing that in the next day or so and then we will start in on the restoration of it. Should turn out fantastic since it's all original and complete.

Attachments

67Beast

Nice! Is this an older restoration or is this factory still? Also, did all the 725s come with that fuel fired heater under the dash? I don't remember 725s having that.
It is unrestored original paint. It is severely faded and thin in places and if it is not repainted soon to seal the metal back up it would surely start getting rusty. I'm very lucky to get it as it is, because another year or two left unattended and it would have been a real rust bucket. I am fortunate that the old guy realized he was never going to be able to restore it and made the decision to sell it before it got away from him. As for the gas fired heater it looks like it was installed by the military and has the military data plate mounted on the dash. I know that not all of the M725 came from the factory with the Jeep hot water heater in them, so I wonder if this was a unit that didn't have one and was transferred to a cold climate and was added at the motorpool level.

67Beast

And the number one reason why you fix a broken exhaust pipe or hangers right away on these trucks. The weight bouncing cracks and breaks the cast iron manifold. The previous owner left the exhaust pipe broken at the muffler for years and here is the result. Broken off ear. Luckily I have a spare manifold in my parts bins but man this sucks.

67Beast

They may not be the prettiest of welds, but they are holding. Welding cast iron can be quite the challenge, but I managed to get the broken flange stuck back on. I wanted to just try it to see if I could do it good enough without cracking the cast iron from excess heat from the weld. It turned out so solid that I decided to put it back on and keep the NOS one I have coming as a spare incase this let’s go. I fired it up a drove around the block and it so nice to have a fully functioning exhaust system back under this ambulance. It’s so nice and quiet like the other ones I have now.

67Beast

David, in Episode 2 you mention treating the inside of the M725’s fuel tank with evapo rust. Can you share more information on that process?
Yep, I bought a 5 gallon pail of Evapo-rust and after cleaning out the heavy stuff in the tank, poured the Evapo-rust in and let the tank set on each side for a day to allow the Evapo-rust to work. It is supposed to work better than using white vinegar to eat the rust, and you don't have to worry about the Evapo-rust eating all the way through the tank metal like vinegar can. It turned out pretty decent. I drained it back into the bucket because it is reusable to save it for other projects. After I washed out the inside and dried it, I used some 2-stroke mix oil to coat the inside of the tank to keep it from flash rusting before I can put it back in and get it filled with gas. Here's the link on it; https://www.evapo-rust.com/

67Beast

Friday's mean that a new episode of Green Iron TV has come up. This week we are working on repairing a leaking fuel pump on the 67' Jeep M715 and then we take it for a nice late fall cruise around the area to make sure it doesn't leak any longer. So, sit back and enjoy and remember to please like, leave a comment and subscribe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks